New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Comparative review of dictionaries for English learners

All about dictionaries

Comparative review of dictionaries for English learners

Postby mmmmmm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

mmmmmm

Re: Comparative review of dictionaries for English learners

Postby pesgd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

nice review, i like American Heritage too. The one I least use is Cambridge..
I´m still getting acquainted with english dics but I feel I always want to see Collins first, then Concise Oxford.
Longman is good for a more thorough lookup
thanks a lot for that link
pesgd

Postby vjjustin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am

She gives a pretty low score for collins. But after using all these dictionaries for quite some time, I use collins as the first/top dictionary. I really like the way the meanings are explained. Not too large not too short and gives the meanings in the context.

The cambridge advanced dict has an advantage in that they have grouped meanings into different categories and give a title for each section. If a word has two separate meaning/usage all dictionaries show it in different categories. But cambridge also give titles to each context/meaning groups (say (made up example) the word red could mean the color, the communist ideology, or as an alert. With other dictionries we have to read all the definitions to know it. With cambridge, it is more easy to read the titles (say politics, colour etc.) and comprehend the wider usage patterns. Not all the words have this headings, but whichever has it, is really useful.

Longman is the most elaborate add to it the pronounced sample sentences and longman extras, you dont anything more to know a word in its entirety. And Oxford is termed as the most authoritative one. If you are in doubt about any specific usage etc, check oxford.

Okay, thats my review..
Justin
vjjustin

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am

Personally, after using all of the mentioned dictionaries, I ended up focusing on the two: OALD8 (since it is a de-facto standard among the Advanced Learner's dictionaries around the world) and LDOCE5 (due to its extensive database with lots of examples and pronunciations).

Interestingly, when I'm in a hurry, I prefer Collins :) It has very precise and clean definitions.

P.S. Btw, I highly recommend that site, it provides *tons* of very well structured and interested content for those who'd like to study any foreign language.
Tvangeste

Postby mmmmmm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Encarta dictionary is very very good and very clear defintions for me, I still nstalli Encarta 2009( last one befor died)
I hoper some one get this great dictionary for Goldendict
mmmmmm

Return to Dictionaries