New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Babylon dictionaries in .BDC format

All about dictionaries

Babylon dictionaries in .BDC format

Postby quanto » Fri May 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello,

I have some Babylon dictionaries which are not in .BGL format but in .BDC.

The Babylon Dictionary software can use these files without problems but it seems that GoldenDict doesn't recognize it.

You can download Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary 2nd ed. for Babylon in .BDC to test it from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/233269054/c ... d.rar.html (RAR 6.55 MB)

Is it possible for GoldenDict to support this dictionary format?
quanto

Re: Babylon dictionaries in .BDC format

Postby ikm » Fri May 15, 2009 1:53 pm

I don't know which kind of format is this. The only type supported right now is .BGL, anyway. Anyone wanting to add support for .BDC is welcome.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby quanto » Fri May 15, 2009 2:23 pm

More info:

http://code.google.com/p/bgl-reverse/wiki/BGLFile

A BGL file has a 4-byte header.

header extention description
0x12340003 .BDC used as cache by Babylon program
0x12340002 .BGL generated by the builder in some cases
0x12340001 .BGL distributed on Babylon site
quanto

Postby ikm » Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Sure, but the difference is more than just a header id. The formats seem completely different (or at least quite different). Anyway, if that's a cache, then there surely must be original .bgl somewhere which the cache was created from.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby levent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:52 pm

quanto wrote:Hello,

I have some Babylon dictionaries which are not in .BGL format but in .BDC.

The Babylon Dictionary software can use these files without problems but it seems that GoldenDict doesn't recognize it.

You can download Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary 2nd ed. for Babylon in .BDC to test it from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/233269054/c ... d.rar.html (RAR 6.55 MB)

Is it possible for GoldenDict to support this dictionary format?

BDC file has same data with BGL.

I installed Babylon program to my computer, I downloaded EXE file, I exported BGL file from this EXE dictionary file with using WINRAR. I installed EXE file to my Babylon program and Babylon program converted this BGL file to a large BDC file.

And I used BGL files, and Babylon program converted them to a large BDC file. I can't understand why it converts them to larger BDC files.

And I deleted Babylon program from my computer. I use these BGL files with my GoldenDict program.

TTS support comes with new version of GoldenDict ??? I'm waiting for TTS support...
levent

Postby ikm » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:01 pm

.BDC exist probably because .BGL are compressed and can't be searched directly (GD uses index files for that).

TTS isn't yet there. Someone should implement this. Patches are welcome, as usual.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby levent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:29 pm

ikm wrote:.BDC exist probably because .BGL are compressed and can't be searched directly (GD uses index files for that).

TTS isn't yet there. Someone should implement this. Patches are welcome, as usual.

Dear Konstantin,

Thanks for your great program, I loved it, because it accepts dictionary formats, and I create and use my own dictionaries by my GoldenDict.

TTS and translation requiers with new versions of your great program: Because GoldenDict will be '#1 dictonary program' with these additions. I don't know create EXE files, I can't help you.

Other programs usually use online translation, and TTS is there on Windows Control Panel, it is not important for me. But I wish, GoldenDict must be #1.

I have two dictionaries in English-Turkish, and I may give them to GoldenDict. There is no dictionary with GoldenDict. I don't want to give them to Babylon, because Babylon is not free. I support free open sources.

Have a good day.
levent

Postby masterman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

There's another reason for Babylon to use .BDC files instead of .BGLs.
If you go to [Babylon Folder]\Data\BGLs you will see BGL files, which Babylon use them too.
But some dictionaries will be converted to .BDC which are placed in [Babylon Folder]\Gloss.
All of my paid dictionaries are converted to .BDC format. Whether this format is open source or not, we can not use it yet. So all paid dictionaries use that for more security and so they can not be published and used in other softwares like GD.
But all .BDC files come from a .BGL one which is at least in a temporary directory within the installation process.
lenent! you extracted the .BGL file from its .exe setup in an unusual innovative way. I think they intentionally hide the .BGL file in that .EXE setup to people can not access it, but you could!
masterman

Postby neverthought » Thu May 20, 2010 12:48 pm

would some one make a .bdc convertor ?
its really necessary
neverthought

Postby ilius » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 pm

I have wrriten a perfect tool for converting between various dictionary formats:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyglossary/
Reading from BGL is supported an is the best support even better than stardict-tools
and GoldenDict. This program is currently in Python but the start point was the same
C++ code that GoldenDict is currently using (the code was originaly wrriten by
Raul Fernandes Karl Grill). But i did some more reverse enginearing to have
a better support for BGL, although after all I can not claim that this a complete
support for BGL, but i try to be more complete in the future. And the I try to
apply my too many changes in the C code to be applied in GoldenDict.

I recommend to convert BGL file to StarDict using PyGlossary and the use it in
GoldenDict.
There are also too many other formats that are supported by PyGlossary. And three
user interfaces (PyGTK, Tkinter and Command Line)
I is wrriten for Linux but maybe you can run it in Windows or Mac.

I am trying to discover BDC structure using reverse enginearing, but no success
until now. BDC structure seems to be completely different from BGL and not only
a compression issue, and too more complex than these!

Regards
ilius

Next

Return to Dictionaries