New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Requests

General discussion

Requests

Postby francesinha » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Hello,

First of all, thanks for an awesome piece of software! Goldendict ROCKS.

I have a few suggestions to improve it though! ;)

1) When you add a new dictionary, automatically add it to a group called "New", or "Test" or whatever: I have dozens of dictionaries, and if I only want to see the entries in the latest addition, I have to either untoggle everything else, or manually add the new guy to my "New" group.

2) In my dictionaries, there are entries for:
  • at one's disposal
  • at your disposal
  • at sb's disposal
  • at his disposal

But when I type at disposal in the search field, Goldendict won't show me those. So I need to type disposal and skim the entire list to find what I need. Could you make that behavior optional? Like, typing "at disposal" or at disposal would result in different lists, Google-style? (I'm sorry, I know I'm not being very clear, but do you get what I'm asking?)

Thank you! Keep up the good work!
francesinha

Re: Requests

Postby chulai » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 am

What you are requesting seems to be full-text search. Lot of time requested but not yet implemented. Here is a ticket for that: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/8
chulai

Postby francesinha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for your answer, Chulai.

I'm not sure it's the same.

In the following example, would full-text search be able to find "se sentir chez soi"?

That's not what I want (well, it sure would be great, but it's not what I was asking for).

I merely want to be able to find *entries*, not the content of definitions.

So in this example, I would type "make self home", and Goldendict would show the three entries in red: make oneself at home, make yourself at home, To make one's self at home.
francesinha

Postby chulai » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:34 pm

ok, so it's not full-text search but to support wildcard search for terms. For example typing "*make* at home" would result in:
make oneself at home
make one feel at home
to make one's self at home

GoldenDict does not currently support wildcard search. There is an open ticket to implement it, though: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/24

What I do in this case is to search for "at home" to find the above entries.
chulai

Postby francesinha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:14 pm

chulai wrote:ok, so it's not full-text search but to support wildcard search for terms.

That's it! Sorry I couldn't be more clear with my explanations.

chulai wrote:What I do in this case is to search for "at home" to find the above entries.

Yeah, that's what I did in my example... But depending on the expression I'm searching, it can get really tiresome to have to wade through dozens of headwords to find the ones I'm looking for.

Anyway, glad to see there's a ticket! I hope the feature will be implemented in the future.
francesinha

Toggle Dictionaries Pane hotkey

Postby pesgd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 am

I think this thread should be the default place for requests. Creating single topics for every request seems unnecessary to me, what do you think?
My request is a hotkey to toggle the dictionaries pane on the left!

Edit: the results navigation pane, I mean, which is on the right side.
Last edited by pesgd on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pesgd

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 am

You could also put all your feature requests and bugs into Goldendict's official bug tracker on Github:

https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues
Tvangeste

Re: Toggle Dictionaries Pane hotkey

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 am

pesgd wrote:My request is a hotkey to toggle the dictionaries pane on the left!

You mean, to hide and show the "Found in dictionaries" sidebar? It's on the right though, but you could manually move it to the left, if desired.
Tvangeste

Re: Toggle Dictionaries Pane hotkey

Postby pesgd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 am

Tvangeste wrote:
pesgd wrote:My request is a hotkey to toggle the dictionaries pane on the left!

You mean, to hide and show the "Found in dictionaries" sidebar? It's on the right though, but you could manually move it to the left, if desired.

sorry, I mixed up.
Yes, I mean the Found in dictionaries sidebar or Results navigation pane on the right.
Oh, I do visit quite often the GD page at Github, but have never registered myself in the service. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
pesgd

Return to General