New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Suggestions

Mobile version discussion

Suggestions

Postby bng » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:13 am

Just personal opinions:

1. I would prefer to have the text box stay visible so I could go searching for another word without scrolling back to the top.

2. It'd be nice to have some management of the history list and bookmark even the basic ones.

3. Why is there a "pencil" on the right hand side of each searched words sometimes, what's that mean? I thought it's a button for what, but it's no function.

4. The flow seems a little odd. After lookup, click on the search box, it won't go back to the history list but a list of similar words. Button "back" will quit the App.

5. It'd be very useful if the search could be a segment that is not limited to the beginning of the words. I think it would be very handy function! Say, searching "and" could show me "handy" in the list of words found.

6. Lastly, I personal think the App icon could be a lot better.

Thanks for your great works!
bng

Re: Suggestions

Postby ikm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 am

1. There'll be an option for that later.
2. What would you like to have? Please be more specific :)
3. You can click this 'pencil' to edit the given history item (to base your new search on its contents).
4. It goes to what you've entered in the search box before.
5. This would be very resource-expensive, unfortunately (either CPU- or disk-wise). That's why Google, for example, can't perform such searches either.
6. Well, propose a better one? :)
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby bng » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 am

ikm wrote:1. There'll be an option for that later.
2. What would you like to have? Please be more specific :)
3. You can click this 'pencil' to edit the given history item (to base your new search on its contents).
4. It goes to what you've entered in the search box before.
5. This would be very resource-expensive, unfortunately (either CPU- or disk-wise). That's why Google, for example, can't perform such searches either.
6. Well, propose a better one? :)

2. Say, something like: removal of a history item, and a bookmark page for selected history item...
3. Well... after click on a history item, if the focus is already in the search box, the effect is the same, right?
5. The core of Android is Linux-based, I thought there may be some text tools for regular expression that may help. Wild guess. :oops:
6. If you don't mind and I come across having an interesting idea, I could let you know. ;)
bng

Postby ikm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am

When you click on a history item, its definition is shown immediately. When you click on the pencil, on the other hand, you get the text of the item merely copied to be edited without initiating any searches right away.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Draico » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm

The support for .aar format would be just great. Since there are problems with implementation of the support for standard Lingvo morphology dictionaries which can give all the word forms (very useful function for working with German language, for example), they could be substituted by Wictionaries, where you can also find them.
(By the way, the problem can be partially solved by installing a Verbix dictionary, which gives the word forms for the verbs only. For me it was really a precious finding. The only problem - it's hard to find one (you may look it up on the ruboard ftp ;)).
The last early access build of the desktop version the .aar dictionaries are supported, but since there are some crucial differences between the mobile and the desktop versions, I just would like to express my hope that this function will be implemented for the android devices in the near future as well.
Last edited by Draico on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draico

Postby Draico » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 pm

The Android version of Goldendict lacks the option of composing groups manually. In my case instead of choosing to look the word up in all the dictionaries available it would be much better to be able at least to choose language pairs which would work in both directions, like Ru<->De or De<->En.
Draico

Postby pablonf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 pm

dude, you should really improve particulary two things in your program:

PRONUNCIATION
i spent hours and hours and hours trying to research how to make GoldenDict to pronounce a word, and i couldn't do it.
i just don't get it.
with babylon, 10 years ago, you could download a pronunciation plugin of 3 megabytes more or less, and it just worked, a thing kind of called pronunciation-add-on.exe, doble click, installed, babylon speaking. not a perfect pronunciation, but good to give you an idea of how the pronuciation is.
i have textaloud + ivona voices, the pronuciation is perfect, works fine.
it would be cool to have the chance to pronounce within goldendict.
i mean, to pronounce offline, without using internet.

RECURSIVE
again, i researched a couple of hours, out of curiosity, extreme curiosity, trying to find out what is that option for. finally, thanks god, i could discover what that option means.
really, the program in some place should say something like:
"this option allows you to look for dictionaries/glossaries also in the subfolders"

well, that's all, thanks for the program,

regards
pablonf

Return to Mobile