New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Any dictionaries(in Spanish or English)of synonyms or usage?

All about dictionaries

Any dictionaries(in Spanish or English)of synonyms or usage?

Postby jecuad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:29 pm

For long, for the purpose of learning language, I have been seeking dictionaries specializing in differentiate synonyms or explaining usages of words, either in English or Spanish. It turns out that there are very few available ready-made dictionaries of those kinds, but a lot in other formats which can be converted to be used on Goldendict: like pdf, and online dictionaries, of which I know about:

1)
Diccionario de Dudas y Dificultades de la Lengua Espanola (Spanish Edition)(download can be found in Internet)
2)
Merriam Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms: A Dictionary of Discriminated Synonyms With Antonyms and Analogous and Contrasted Words (download can be found in Internet)
3)
And this online dictionary of DICCIONARIO PANHISPÁNICO DE DUDAS:
http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/html/cabecera.htm

Of the first two I have their pdf versions, also I have converted the 1) into Dsl format(see attached picture), not so neat but quite acceptable, to use it in Goldendict.

But the second is difficult for me to convert into Dsl format.

Any one know about more materiales of this kind available in Internet? Anyone has experience in converting a pdf into Dsl for Goldendict?
Attachments
Clipboard02.gif
dict de dudas
Clipboard02.gif (64.97 KiB) Viewed 31874 times
jecuad

Re: Any dictionaries(in Spanish or English)of synonyms or usage?

Postby chulai » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 am

jecuad, you have the babylon dictionaries "Signum Sinónimos del español" (Signum Spanish Thesaurus) and "Merriam-Webster Collegiate Thesaurus", both premium though. Could you possibly share the steps to convert a pdf dictionary to DSL? Your screenshot looks promising.

Thanks
chulai

Postby jecuad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

chulai wrote:jecuad, you have the babylon dictionaries "Signum Sinónimos del español" (Signum Spanish Thesaurus) and "Merriam-Webster Collegiate Thesaurus", both premium though. Could you possibly share the steps to convert a pdf dictionary to DSL? Your screenshot looks promising.

Thanks

1. Maybe it's unnecessary to mention as it's known to many, that, up to today, both frees and premium babylon dictionaries, can be obtained in BGL format directly from the official website, through some are packed into EXE format, which can't be unzipped to get the BGL files.

2. As converting PDF dictionary to DSL, I'm glad to share my poor experience, I am sure many could do it more neatly if they bother to do it.

1). converted PDF dictionary to HTM, if the pdf file isn't text-based, first you need use OCR tools like ABBYY to recognize and convert it to text-based PDF, so that HTM or TXT file's text content is complete regard to the original PDF dictioanary. Here I use as a example the Diccionario de Dudas y Dificultades de la Lengua Espanola (Spanish Edition)(download can be found in Internet), it's like this:

Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (146.88 KiB) Viewed 31793 times

2). I saved the PDF dictionary as HTM with Adobe Acrobat
3). Open the HTM with Emedit, part of the view as the attached picture,

Clipboard02.gif
Clipboard02.gif (36.59 KiB) Viewed 31792 times

then use regular expresion to clean the text, and adapt it into DSL format, and finaly I get it like this(TAB are not showed here):
mayonesa
'Salsa que se hace batiendo aceite crudo y yema de huevo'. Aunque los puristas sostienen que es preciso decir mahonesa, el uso más extendido prefiere la forma con -y-. La Academia registra las dos formas, si bien inclinándose a favor de mahonesa. La forma bayonesa es un vulgarismo.
mayor
[c red]1.[/c] Comparativo de grande: —> GRANDE, 2.
[c red]2.[/c] La mayor parte, el mayor sector de (los) españoles: —>MAYORíA.
[c red]3.[/c] Sobre la construcción mayor A, —> GRANDE, 2.
[c red]4.[/c] Tanto mayor, cuanto mayor, mucho mayor, precediendo a nombre (cuanto mayor impulso, tanto mayor trabajo, mucho mayor entusiasmo), presentan oscilación en la forma del primer elemento cuando el nombre es femenino: puede aparecer, o bien como invariable, o bien con terminación femenina. La forma invariable (ejemplos clásicos: TANTO mayor voluntad, P. Mariana; MUCHO mayor fuerza, Luis de Granada, cit. Cuervo, Apuntaciones, § 381) es la más aceptada, de acuerdo con la función adverbial de la palabra; pero también es frecuente, y también existe desde época antigua, la concordancia en femenino (.MUCHA mayor amargura, Rodríguez de Montalvo; TANTA mayor generosidad, Jovellanos, cit. Cuervo). Cuando estos grupos tanto / cuanto /mucho + mayor no preceden, sino que siguen al nombre, el primer elemento es siempre invariable: una generosidad TANTO mayor, una amargura MUCHO mayor.

This is just a short account of the process, and many details you should to pay attention to.

I tried but find it to complicate(the complicated part is that, the HTM obtained from PDF has a uninformed format, which implicates more advanced tools, time, carefulness to clean and adapt it into DSl ) to convert Merriam Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms: A Dictionary of Discriminated Synonyms With Antonyms and Analogous and Contrasted Words (download can be found in Internet) into DSL, but I am sure it's feasible, only that one have more sophisticated knowledge, tools, and computer and time, for me it's have been a problem that my computer can't deal with the process of large text file smoothly.

May someone could convert Merriam Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms and share their method!!!!!

Hope this to be useful.
jecuad

Postby chulai » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Thank you for all the steps. I think they are of great help to me. I have no previous experience with OCR tools and this is a good start.

1. Maybe it's unnecessary to mention as it's known to many, that, up to today, both frees and premium babylon dictionaries, can be obtained in BGL format directly from the official website, through some are packed into EXE format, which can't be unzipped to get the BGL files.

Yes, I figured it out myself before but they are still paid dictionaries. ;)
chulai

Re: Any dictionaries(in Spanish or English)of synonyms or us

Postby viarm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:51 pm

May someone could convert Merriam Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms and share their method!!!!!

PDF-[copy]->Word-[tag]->Vim-[tag again]

WM-Syn.png
Last edited by viarm on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viarm

Postby robertocm » Fri May 04, 2012 10:15 am

I would suggest searching Google with these keywords "Static DRAE dictionary". Only for research purposes, be careful with copyright.

"dict-es" is a spanish dictionary with some kind of GPL license:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/dict-es/
robertocm

Postby ripavgar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Saludos.

Diccionario de dudas y dificultades de la lengua española:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-65010465.html

Lexus - Diccionario de sinónimos, antónimos-parónimos:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-1f085174.html

Diccionario de ideas afines de Fernando Corripio:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-2abd01f3.html

Be careful: not great button "DOWNLOAD NOW" Is an adware!!!! but "DOWNLOAD", at left for download the files (7zip compression).
ripavgar

Return to Dictionaries