New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Android GD Free - Error reading from file (unknown)

Mobile version discussion

Re: Android GD Free - Error reading from file (unknown)

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:59 am

Sorry, have checked the Preferrences only just now, and I see that you already implemented some of my suggestions. Now I think it just takes to make the program immune to crashing BEFORE the user could gain access to this menu.
Vladislav Danilov

Postby ikm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Vladislav Danilov wrote:it is very much desired that some day GD support the compressed Stardict formats

It already does. It always did.

Now, I am really curious to know what was that you had in your dictdata/ folder which made the program die. You see, the program is supposed to tolerate any and all errors related to incorrect/inconsistent file formats. The only type of errors it doesn't tolerate are physical read errors (e.g. ones where your SD card has errors). So I am still puzzled here. If you could zip and send me your dictdata/ folder, I could attempt to reproduce the error and fix it for good. If you can, please send it to ikm@goldendict.org. If you can't, could you at least send a file list? :)

If you have time to debug this¸ you could also try removing dictionaries from that folder one by one until the problem disappears. Then you would've identified the problem.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

ikm wrote:It already does. It always did.

Hm, now this becomes inconsistent with my understanding of the Universe :-) Though I am more than happy about the support of the compressed formats.

Given the aforementioned "faulty" WiFi and virtual lack of network coverage here, I'll be able to send you the archive on Sunday when I get to my PC. Neither Stardict, nor ColorDict had anything to say against any of those dictionaries, but then again you must be right in that they could have simply ignored the bad one without my even noticing that a certain dictionary out of a hundred is not used.

I am not sure if I could fully perform the experiment you suggested since it would require tremendous amount of time, something I seem to be running out of. But I'll try to at least get going with this.
Vladislav Danilov

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:26 am

A minor bug: should the files of .config/index be deleted, but with the contents of .config remaining intact, the program displays a black screen. The menu is fully functional, but if Select buttons are pressed, the program "performs an illegal operation and is closed" ((c) MS Windows :-)) This is potentially dangerous because of the probability that one or more files in .config/index become corrupted through some memory problem.
Vladislav Danilov

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 pm

I found it! The dictionary's name is Xn_stroika_en-ru, and it is peculiar in that its .ifo file has a 0-byte length. The dictionary works in Stardict and Colordict, but fails in GD. I hope I'll be able to upload it later in the evening, when the signal gets stronger.
Last edited by Vladislav Danilov on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladislav Danilov

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Vladislav Danilov

Postby ikm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:14 am

I've uploaded 1.4.1 which contains a fix for the problem, thanks for identifying it.

p.s. The mentioned dictionary still won't work in GD as it's invalid (.ifo is empty, so its content type is unknown). However, this time it's just going to be ignored without any adverse consequences. If you want to use it, supply a correct .ifo file (it's easy to create one anew).
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Vladislav Danilov » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 am

Thank you, the fix works :-)
Vladislav Danilov

Postby bugmenot1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:57 pm

I also had this problem with the latest paid version of the app.
The problem was caused by a folder named "dictionary.bgl", removing the dot solved the problem.
bugmenot1

Previous

Return to Mobile