New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Croatian letters with diacritics not displayed

Report bugs here

Croatian letters with diacritics not displayed

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 am

Hi,
congratulations for very good project, GoldenDict is excellent.
My problem: can not get "č, ć, ž, đ, š" displayed in GoldenDict

slova.png
slova.png (62.08 KiB) Viewed 23262 times

In the picture above it should be: "opsežan, širok... važan, ... mogućnosti"

Maybe similar problem already was discussed. I searched the forum and found the option with "article-style.css" file.
I changed the font several times, but that does not solve the problem.
It's about dictionary imported frome Babylon (bgl conversion)
Last edited by do2an on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
do2an

Re: Croatian letters with diacritics not displayed

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:37 am

Can you post a link to the dictionary that exhibits such problem? If the dictionary is not public, you can send a direct message to me with the link, and I'll take a look (once my vacation is over :) )
Tvangeste

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 am

Dictionary with this problem is from Babylon:
http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionarie ... 44092.html
I tried to create test-dictionary (only one term, wit lot diacritic-letters) - with Babylon-builder, and then convert to GoldenDict. And problem is the same...
do2an

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 am

do2an wrote:Dictionary with this problem is from Babylon:
http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionarie ... 44092.html
I tried to create test-dictionary (only one term, wit lot diacritic-letters) - with Babylon-builder, and then convert to GoldenDict. And problem is the same...

Babylon recently changed their web site so that it is impossible to download BGL dictionaries. They try to lure me to download Babylon itself. Please post your sample dictionary then.

Did you try to create a DSL dictionary and see how it looks? Most of my dictionaries are in DSL format and I have never seen any problems with diacritics, at least on on Windows 7.
Tvangeste

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:08 am

Here you have 2 dictionaries in attachment
diacritics-bgl.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1181 times

I will experiment now with DSL format.
Thank you for replying.
do2an

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

do2an wrote:Here you have 2 dictionaries in attachment

OK, I can confirm that the diacritics are missing. And in Babylon itself, everything is OK?
Tvangeste

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 am

Yes, in Babylon everything is OK.
I tried DSL format (test file, one term) - in notepad, then saving, changing to dsl extension, and importing to GoldenDict.
And this is the case: in Notepad, when saving, I must choose Unicode encoding (or UTF-8), and everything is OK with diacritics in that case,
but, if I leave ANSI and save, dictionary has cyrillic letters, instead of lattin diacritics, when imported to GD...
So, I suppose that something with encoding must be in the bgl conversion process?
do2an

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:39 am

Something more:
Maybe Babylon Builder is the problem. When I create gls file in notepad and save with Unicode encoding, BBuilder doesn't accept, ie. it messes everything, not only diacritics.
When gls saved in UTF-8, BBuilder accepts, but messes diacritics. Babylon Builder insists on ANSI format, to display everything OK... It's weird
Maybe there is not bug in GoldenDict in this case, only different encoding standards between Babylon and GDict...
do2an

Postby tosbaha » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Babylon builder has a setting for UTF-8. When you open your project click Next and then you will see a screen with the properties of your glossary. Click Advanced button at right corner and click "Use UTF-8" encoding. Another way is to use StarDict Builder with UTF-8 text it also works. You can download StarDict Editor from here
tosbaha

Postby do2an » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I missed to see this option in Babylnon Builder. It solves the problem: when glossary is built with UTF-8 option selected, conversion to GoldenDict does not make problem with diacritics.
I use some glossaries wich seem to be compiled in ANSI, and there is problem with diacritics. Is there an option to decompile bgl file?
do2an

Next

Return to Bugs