New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Getting GoldenDict file

All about dictionaries

Getting GoldenDict file

Postby jineu21 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi!

I just found out about GoldenDict and other dic lookup programs and would like to give it a try. But there is no explanation how to get the files that GoldenDict works with. Can GD also work with major dictionaries like Oxford and Longman? If so, where do I get the Oxford and Longman files for GD?

Thank you very much.
jineu21

Re: Getting GoldenDict file

Postby Abs62 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm

List of supported dictionary formats you can find here.
Abs62

Postby jineu21 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. However, I have already seen the list of the supported dic formats. The problem is I don't know what they mean.

I am familiar with names such as Longman and Oxford but not with file names like ".ifo, .dict, .idx, and .syn files". I went into some of the dic names mentioned, like StartDict and Lingvo. But they just seem to be another look up program like GoldenDict, and nowhere do I see any mention of ".ifo, .dict, .idx, and .syn, etc" files. So my question still is:

Where can I get these files?

Also, can someone please help me with my question: Does GoldenDict work with Longman and Oxford? How are these ".ifo, .dict, .idx, and .syn, etc" files related to Longman and Oxford dictionaries?

Thank you very much.
jineu21

Postby dg333 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:38 am

Longman and Oxford are dictionary names and, probably, they exists in various formats. If you find them in the StarDict or in the Lingvo format, you can use them with GoldenDict.
dg333

Postby jineu21 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:09 am

Thank you very much for your answers. But these answers frustrate me. You are telling me to go to StartDict to get GoldenDict files. If I go to StartDict they will tell me to go to GoldenDict to get the files. So I will end up circling around and around. So can someone tell me how to get these files without mentioning names like StartDict and Lingvo?
jineu21

Postby C2BlEv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:35 pm

GoldenDict may not be for you. It is only a viewer of dictionaries that you already should have or find elsewhere. If you don't have any dictionaries or it is too difficult or expensive for you to obtain them, you will not be able to use GoldenDict.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby Alec » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm

You can download dictionaries from here: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~ecl6tam/ (that´s a tilde before ¨ecl6tam¨.)

The direct link to the sub-page is here: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~ecl6ta ... aries.html

To the best of my knowledge and belief, every dictionary there is available totally free of charge (at least for educational use), under the GNU General Purpose Licence (or similar). If you find any that are not, please inform me, and I will take appropriate action at once.

Alec.
Alec

Return to Dictionaries