New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

How to use online dictionaries?

All about dictionaries

How to use online dictionaries?

Postby MaxKraft » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:48 am

Hello,

I am a new user of GoldenDict, and I have the problem that I can't use the online dictionaries.
I already chose a couple of websites under "dictionaries", and they are all displayed in the window.
The problem is that every time I search a word it is only searched in the dictionaries on the harddisk, not in the online ones. In the main pages, I got the hits from the dictionaries but not from the websites. I have to open them manually and enter the word in the query mask. I attached a screenshot, I hope that will help you.

Thank you
Attachments
online dictionaries.png
online dictionaries.png (635.74 KiB) Viewed 22980 times
MaxKraft

Re: How to use online dictionaries?

Postby dg333 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm

MaxKraft wrote:I attached a screenshot, I hope that will help you.

Really? The only thing that can be learned from the screenshot is translation of 引信 to English. How is it supposed to help?

Instead, you’d better give a very detailed description of your system setup/GD setup and online dictionaries setup.
dg333

Postby MaxKraft » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:17 am

The screenshot shows that the hits of the installed dictionaries are shown, the hits from the online dictionaries are empty.
Maybe it is just becuase of the usage of the program, but I can't tell where the problem ist.

Here is some more information:

System: ubuntu 12.04
GoldenDIct version 1.0.1.+git

What do you mean with "online dictionaries setup"?
MaxKraft

Postby dg333 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 am

I mean, which online dictionaries are enabled and how. I. e., what is in Edit → Dictionaries → Source → Websites (this is where a screen shot might help, inter alia).
dg333

Postby MaxKraft » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:29 am

Sorry for my late reply.
I send you a screenshot of the online dictionary setup. It seems to be alright to me.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (283.42 KiB) Viewed 22784 times
MaxKraft

Postby dg333 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 am

In all your entries (except for the first one) you have only site URLs. That’s the problem. You should enter query URLs instead (as in the first entry for Urban Dictionary), i. e. how GD should convey your source word/expression to the site. This is somewhat tricky and can be learned by try and error. Namely, visit the required site, enter something and see what appears in the browser URL bar. For example, when I visit dict.cn and enter word in the search field, the page with translation appears at dict.cn/word. Thus, the idea is to try dict.cn/%GDWORD% in the dictionaries/websites settings.
dg333

Postby MaxKraft » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:55 pm

It works, thank you very much! :D
MaxKraft

Return to Dictionaries