New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Developer Builds (for testing)

General discussion

Re: Developer Builds (for testing)

Postby Stalwart777 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:48 pm

I was really impressed by the latest build (goldendict-1.5.0-RC-340-gfb19fb1(EXE only).7z - 1.20 MB )

However, I think it could be made even better by paying attention to the following:

1. The user should be able to specify the dictionaries for full-search indexing, not just by formats but also by specific names, just as the previous brother indicated.

2. There should be a way to bring up the scan popup window without any input. Is it OK if you make it possible to bring it up by pressing ctrl+c+c without selecting any text?

3. When searching Arabic, whether it is full-text or in open page, the diacritics (vowels) should be ignored by default. (I noticed that the program insists on using diacritics when searching open page, which is counter-intuitive, since no dictionary is consistent in using them.)

Internet Explorer's search in open page panel gives three options for Arabic: *Match diacritic, *Match Alef Hamza, *Match Kashida.

You can simplify things by ignoring all three when searching Arabic.

Many thanks and keep up the good work.
Stalwart777

Postby Abs62 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 pm

veole
veole wrote:A small bug: The next and previous buttons are always activated, even if there is only one result / or no previous result (after going foward once).

Unfortunately QWebKit API don't provide possibility to find how many matches was founded in the page.
veole wrote:A request: Could it be possible to full text search only one dictionary like in the "dictionary headwords" option?

Just select the only dictionary on dictionaries panel (Ctrl+LeftClick is a simplest way).

Stalwart777
Stalwart777 wrote:1. The user should be able to specify the dictionaries for full-search indexing, not just by formats but also by specific names, just as the previous brother indicated.

Just select required dictionaries only on dictionaries panel or create dictionaries group.
Stalwart777 wrote:2. There should be a way to bring up the scan popup window without any input. Is it OK if you make it possible to bring it up by pressing ctrl+c+c without selecting any text?

Popup window is designed for fast translation of some forgotten word. Without word it is senseless.
Abs62

Postby Abs62 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:08 am

goldendict-1.5.0-RC-345-g71458ec(EXE only).7z - 1.21 MB
Support for DICT protocol implemented.
Now you can add DICT servers as translation source.
Abs62

Fonts selection

Postby veole » Sat May 03, 2014 8:35 am

I don't understand why I have to choose only one font for each category like "body" in article-style.css. If you use a browser like Firefox, it detects all fonts, and uses all glyphs of all fonts.

Why can't Goldendict do the same? Just use every font available to display the words, not every font can display every language. Maybe you could choose what is your default font, but Goldendict should be able to use all the fonts installed at the same time.

I understand that probably you can tweak article-style.css to do that, but even in that case just one font is not always enough to display all characters of a single language / dictionary.

The font selection is the most annoying part of Goldendict, it should be transparent like in Firefox. Also it would help Goldendict to be really portable, no matter what fonts are installed in different computers.

Also, it would be great if you could put all your special fonts in a folder called GoldenDict\portable\fonts, so Goldendict could be portable no matter what fonts are installed. A lot of times you need admin rights to install fonts in public computers or you don't want to waste time copying fonts even if you can.
veole

Postby Abs62 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:12 am

You can load any number of fonts via "@font-face" rules in user article-style.css. For example:
Code: Select all
@font-face {
  font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
  font-style: normal;
  src:  url('file:///ARIALUNI.TTF') format("truetype"); //Path relative to GD home directory ("portable" in portable version) or full path
}

And use these fonts for any class of elements on page via "font-family" stile rule. Just look page in inspector and find target classes.
Abs62

Postby veole » Sat May 03, 2014 10:14 am

Abs62 wrote:You can load any number of fonts via "@font-face" rules in user article-style.css. For example:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
  font-style: normal;
  src:  url('file:///ARIALUNI.TTF') format("truetype"); //Path relative to GD home directory ("portable" in portable version) or full path
}

And use these fonts for any class of elements on page via "font-family" stile rule. Just look page in inspector and find target classes.

I can load ARIALUNI.TTF from /portable/fonts/. But if I do that I loose the bold and italic words. Everything looks plain. Why?

Before
body
{
   background: white;
   font-family: Arial Unicode MS;
}

After
@font-face
{
  src:  url('file:///fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF');
}

body
{
   background: white;
}
veole

Postby Abs62 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:40 am

The arialuni.tff font has only regular glyphs (no bold, no italic, no bolditalic).
Abs62

Postby veole » Sat May 03, 2014 10:58 am

Abs62 wrote:The arialuni.tff font has only regular glyphs (no bold, no italic, no bolditalic).

So how can I configure Goldendict to load special fonts like arialuni.tff, unifont.ttf, CODE2000.TTF from /portable/fonts/ and at the same time use the normal fonts installed in /Windows/fonts/ for bold & italics?
veole

Postby shipley.wu » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

It would be indeed most excellent if the new build could fix full-text search for languages such as Chinese and Japanese. The latest build only supports strings at least four Chinese characters long, while most Chinese words are made up of a combination of two, three or four characters.
shipley.wu

Postby Abs62 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm

shipley.wu
Use "Wildcards" or "RegExp" modes. In these modes no limit for word length.
Abs62

PreviousNext

Return to General