New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

It takes a very long time to start up.

Report bugs here

It takes a very long time to start up.

Postby zhangjinsong » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:59 am

When there are a huge number of image and audio files in the dsl dictionary directory, it takes a very long time to start up.

I checked the code, and discovered the problem may be caused by rescanning files every time when starting up.

I think there should be an option in "Preferences" that allows user to avoid rescanning files when starting up.

I'm a total C++ and QT idiot, so I could not help to write code in a short time.

Thanks.
zhangjinsong

Re: It takes a very long time to start up.

Postby Gloggy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 am

Alternatively, one can just zip all the media files into a ZIP file, thus removing the bottleneck from the filesystem, this is a preferred way to organize "media" dictionaries (the ones with huge amount of sound/picture files). And it works great already.
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby zhangjinsong » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks for the reply.
I've tried it already, but it didn't work for me.

How to name of the zip file?
zhangjinsong

Postby Gloggy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 am

If you have a dictionary named my_dict.dsl, then all the audio files need to be in my_dict.dsl.files.zip file.
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby zhangjinsong » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 am

Gloggy wrote:If you have a dictionary named my_dict.dsl, then all the audio files need to be in my_dict.dsl.files.zip file.

It works very well.

Thank you very much!
zhangjinsong

Postby masterman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:09 pm

I've not used huge images and sounds, but I think this program still consumes vast amount of memory in comparison with Babylon.
While Babylon allocate about 43MB of Working Set(Memory), GD reserve about 96MB for itself (means twice the Babylon) with almost same amount of dictionaries in use.
I think there is works in reducing memory consumption of GD.
My OS: Win7 x64
masterman

Return to Bugs