New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Percent encoding for web searches

Report bugs here

Percent encoding for web searches

Postby jennie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 am

This came up at the Greek Ubuntu forum, with a user trying to add this website search
Code: Select all
http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%GDWORD%
. The site uses ISO-8859-7 encoding, so it refused to understand the search. I tried using
Code: Select all
http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%GDISO7%
but this didn't work either. Is there another workaround for this? I was wondering if it would be doable to have the application convert keywords to percent-encoding (url encoding) before looking them up on websites.
jennie

Re: Percent encoding for web searches

Postby ikm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, only ISO1 was implemented. Now I've added support for all ISO encodings via %ISO1%, %ISO2% etc. Try the latest SVN version -- your site now works fine with ISO7.

p.s. Regarding percent encoding -- it should be done already, transparently. But percent encoding does not solve the initial encoding problem -- it is merely a way to encode 8-bit chars to their hex representation, and as such, it encodes strings which must already be in some 8-bit encoding. So you always have to choose the right text encoding anyway.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby jennie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will try the new version.
I 'll also add a few really minor things here:
Although I have Ancient Greek fonts installed, ancient Greek accented characters are rendered as blank squares (e.g. ἁ, ῖ). Modern Greek displays correctly.

I have a stardict dictionary that I compiled myself, with cross-references to keywords of the type "Ρ2.1". Clicking on the link will not work. If I choose "Lookup" however, I am shown the Ρ2.1 entry. Links to "Ρ2" work as expected, so the problem seems to be the dot (.). I have already replaced the faulty links with dotless ones, but I thought I should mention this.
jennie

Postby ikm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Please upload the dictionary somewhere (if you don't mind of course), I'll see and fix those problems with dot.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby jennie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:53 am

Hi! Did you get the email I sent you (to the address found in the Contact page)?
jennie

Postby ikm » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 am

Yes. I'll get to it when I have time.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby ikm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:30 pm

See if the issue was fixed in SVN r369.

Note that I have only found one dotted link in your dictionaries, namely "Ρ2.1α", and it still doesn't work since there's no such article in neither of the two dictionaries. But now it is decoded correctly.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby jennie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am

Sorry for the late reply. I can confirm that this issue has been fixed. Thanx a lot!!
jennie

Return to Bugs