New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Ancient Greek

Report bugs here

Ancient Greek

Postby Alec » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm working on dictionaries for Ancient Greek. I've come across two strange things, and don't know whether they are bugs or not. I would be very grateful for opinions and advice.

1) Some characters with diacritics (e.g. alpha, omega etc plus a stress-mark that looks like an acute accent) occur twice in Unicode: once in the (Modern) Greek section and again in the Greek Extended section. This means that GD often does not recognize a word in the document, because that word contains one version of the character but the same word in GD's dictionaries contains the other version, so the two strings do not match.

2) When a character from the Greek section is right next to a character from the Greek Extended section (which happens in very many words, of course), GD seems to treat the point between those characters as a word-boundary, which means that it only looks for a fragment of the word, and never finds a translation.

I tried to solve the first problem by editing the AFF file, adding these characters to the TRY and REF commands. This seems to have had no effect, but I'm a beginner with Hunspell, so I might have made mistakes.

I don't know what to do about the second problem at all. Is it part of GD, or entirely controlled by the Hunspell features?

Has anyone any ideas, please?
Alec

Return to Bugs