New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Goldendict git1.0.1-792 issues (IBUS, boxes, quitting)

Report bugs here

Goldendict git1.0.1-792 issues (IBUS, boxes, quitting)

Postby gunnvorwagner » Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi there:

Xubuntu 13.04 64 bits, Goldendict 1.0.1-792 pulled from Gitorious NOT from Synaptic (cause that one list it as git1.0.2, but has a copyright note up to 2012, whereas the one I pulled "expires" in 2013, latest available IBUS from Synaptic.

Issues:

- I cannot write in scripts other than the latin alphabet. I use IBUS to write in japanese and chinese flawlessly in any other application of my machine (LibreOffice, Firefox...) but Goldendict doesnt even recognize the shortcuts in place to activate or deactivate IBUS (which work well out of Goldendict) This is a bit irritating, a I have to workaround ways to write a character.

- Top right icon with an "x" to quit the application just doesn't work, it just minimizes Goldendict. To quit Goldendict I must use ctrl+q.

- Not a single box in the program appears as picked/activated. I mean those little boxes next to your dictionary sources, the ones you use to edit where your dictionaries are stored, the boxes next to your web-based dictionaries, Morphology and Wikipedia sections... It is, obviously, impossible to tell if a group/dictionary is on or off.

Feedback appreciated.
gunnvorwagner

Re: Goldendict git1.0.1-792 issues (IBUS, boxes, quitting)

Postby Tvangeste » Mon May 27, 2013 7:02 pm

gunnvorwagner wrote:- Top right icon with an "x" to quit the application just doesn't work, it just minimizes Goldendict. To quit Goldendict I must use ctrl+q.

Make sure that "Close to system tray" option is not enabled in Preferences: F4 -> Interface.

gunnvorwagner wrote:- Not a single box in the program appears as picked/activated. I mean those little boxes next to your dictionary sources, the ones you use to edit where your dictionaries are stored, the boxes next to your web-based dictionaries, Morphology and Wikipedia sections...

Please make screenshots and post them here to make it clearer what's going on.
Tvangeste

Postby gunnvorwagner » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm

thanks for the tips to avoid "issue" number 1.

Picture has been added, I believe
Attachments
gd.png
those are the empty boxes, no matter how many times I click on them, they will always remain unchecked
gd.png (54.25 KiB) Viewed 19561 times
gunnvorwagner

Postby Tvangeste » Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 pm

So, to double-check, you have a brand new Xubuntu 13.04 and you've built GoldenDict from the sources yourself, right? The master repository for GoldenDict is on GitHub though, *not* on Gitorious.

What steps did you execute to build GoldenDict?
Tvangeste

Postby gunnvorwagner » Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm

I followed the readme found in the goldendict directory:

cd goldendict && qmake && make
gunnvorwagner

Postby gunnvorwagner » Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 pm

I did uninstall goldendict from synaptic first, deleted all directories inside the .goldendict directory (not a config file, to keep my distribution of dictionaries and the groups) and proceeded to git pull
gunnvorwagner

Postby Tvangeste » Mon May 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Out of curiosity, I've just installed Xubuntu 13.04 x64 and can confirm the problem with the checkboxes.

Looks like the GTK+ style (it is by default) breaks Qt apps with checkboxes, under Xubuntu 13.04 x64. This is clearly a problem with Xubuntu/Qt, we don't do anything on GoldenDict side to trigger such bad behavior.

As a workaround, you might want to launch goldendict like this:

Code: Select all
./goldendict -style plastique

With this style, the checkboxes do work.
Tvangeste

Postby gunnvorwagner » Mon May 27, 2013 10:13 pm

the workaround works, but breaks some graphics. Any tips about IBUS input? Any idea where to fill in a request to fix that with the xubuntu guys?
gunnvorwagner

Postby timonwong » Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 am

In order to allow ibus to work under qt applications, you may have to install "ibus-qt4" as well, then configure default IME for qt using "qtconfig".
You can find instructions here (Arch linux though): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus
timonwong

Postby Tvangeste » Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 pm

gunnvorwagner wrote:Any idea where to fill in a request to fix that with the xubuntu guys?

Actually, I just fixed the problem in GoldenDict so that we don't hit this bug in Xubuntu anymore! Just pull the latest changes and build, everything should be back to normal.
Tvangeste

Next

Return to Bugs