New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

GoldenDict stays in the background in Windows when I shut it

Report bugs here

GoldenDict stays in the background in Windows when I shut it

Postby novarex » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 am

Many thanks to the developers for making GoldenDict available. I have been happily using this application on my Android phone for some time and have now installed the Windows version on my PC.

The Windows version functions perfectly except for one annoying issue: when I try to close it by clicking on the X at the top right corner of the window after looking up a word the program becomes a background process as can be seen in the task manager. The problems that this causes are as follows:

1. When I next need the program I can’t use a keyboard shortcut to start it because Windows sees it is already active. Therefore, I am forced to use the Start menu.
2. When I open the program using the Start menu two windows open: a new window and also a second window showing my last look-up. Indeed, each time I use GoldenDict without subsequently closing it with the task manager yet another instance is opened. After a while many instances can be seen in the task manager.

My PC is a 64-bit machine running Windows 10. No other programs I use seem to behave in this way.

Is this a bug or is it part of the design? Is there any way to install the program such that it will close fully when I politely ask it to close, without having to open the task manager to force it to close?

David
novarex

Re: GoldenDict stays in the background in Windows when I shu

Postby Abs62 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Preferences -> Intreface -> Close to system tray.

If this option is set, X button and Alt+F4 keys will minimise GD to tray. To quit GD with this option you can use Ctrl+Q keys, main menu or tray icon context menu.
Abs62

Re: GoldenDict stays in the background in Windows when I shu

Postby novarex » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:39 pm

That's wonderful, thanks. I'm sorry to say that it didn't occur to me that this was a default setting that I could change.
novarex

Return to Bugs