New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

feedback-Scan-popup function not good enough

Report bugs here

feedback-Scan-popup function not good enough

Postby wdianyu » Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 am

Recently i'm using GoldenDict, it do me a great help. I must say thank you to the author and the developers.
What i want to feedback is about the scan-popup function which i like the most. When i read, i'd like to open two windows, the document window(for example, Foxint Reader) and the MS Word window, taking notes when reading. But when it scan popup, GD always turns into the current window, so i have to click the MS Word everytime i want to take notes.
It is said that scan-popup function is too hard to improve. I really cannot beleave it! What a big loss if GD lacks(or doesnot function well) this wonderful fuction!
Could the almighty author or developers pay more attention to this function please? We would be very grateful.
wdianyu

Re: feedback-Scan-popup function not good enough

Postby chulai » Sun May 12, 2013 1:05 pm

If you call the scan popup with the hotkeys the expected behavior is to bring the scan popup window to the front and get focus to be able to browse the result and optionally input a new search. As GD is cross-platform this behavior has to be tested and be consistent in a great number of setup (not only the tipical Windows and OS X versions but considering the different options of Window Managers present in Linux/X11). Here you can see a table with some tests I carried out in the past https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/194 At that time they were several issues with the bring to front expected behavior. I think we will have to carry another test session because some of those issues were resolved.

What I understand you are suggesting is to have an option in GD to NOT allow the popup window to appear in front of all applications. Although I understand the motivation for such an option and it seems simple to add it's not for the reasons explained before. I would suggest you other alternatives:
1) Setup GD to trigger scan popup with a combination of modifier keys such as Ctrl + Shift. Or disable such function and just select the word you want to translate and press Ctrl + C + C.
2) Pin the scan popup window change the window dimensions, unpin the window again and next time it appears in front of your other applications you just can hide it by quickly moving the mouse cursor over the window and out of it.

There is an interesting feature request that could ease somehow your issue https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/81
Hope it gets implemented in GD some day soon.
chulai

Postby chulai » Sun May 12, 2013 4:24 pm

On a second read i think you want scan popup to appear on top of other windows but without loosing focus on current application. It might be possible to add such a feature as an option but to test in all platforms and make adjustment will be a considerable effort. Feel free to make a request in the Goldendict issue tracker at https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict
chulai

Postby wdianyu » Sun May 12, 2013 10:56 pm

chulai wrote:On a second read i think you want scan popup to appear on top of other windows but without loosing focus on current application. It might be possible to add such a feature as an option but to test in all platforms and make adjustment will be a considerable effort. Feel free to make a request in the Goldendict issue tracker at https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict

Thank you very much for your reply!
I'm very sorry if my poor Englishi or computer knoledge made you confused.
What i expect is exactly as you described in your second reply - i want the scan popup window to appear on top of other windows but without loosing focus on current application. Could you make that happen? I'd really appreciate it.
wdianyu

Return to Bugs