New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

GoldenDict for Android - Bug?

Report bugs here

GoldenDict for Android - Bug?

Postby Dorset-TX » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi,
There seems to be a bug in GoldenDict for Android (Trial version). Once a few words have been looked up the <Back> key doesn't cause the application to exit. It backs up through the history of look-ups a couple of steps then gets stuck. Pressing the <Back> key causes the little whirly wait indicator to appear and disappear but nothing else happens. The only way to exit is using Task Manager to force exit the application.

Could you look at this, also would you add an exit option to the pop-up menu as having to back up through the history to exit is a pain.

regards,
R.
Dorset-TX

Re: GoldenDict for Android - Bug?

Postby ikm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Does this happen a lot? This is a known problem after you change font size. I will add the 'Quit' menu item. Meanwhile, you can just switch to any other activity without closing the program - Android will close it automatically once resources are needed elsewhere.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Dorset-TX » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks, as you say the issue seems to be related to changing the font size.

I'm struggling to understand the manage dictionaries. I had assumed that if you select single mode and a single dictionary, only entries from that dictionary would be shown in the search list and displayed but it seems that GoldenDict searchs and displays content from all installed dictionaries regardless of what is set in manage directories.

Is there a description of how to use manage directories anywhere?

thanks,
R.
Dorset-TX

Postby ikm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 pm

There's no description anywhere yet, but the process should be straightforward.

The single/multi mode only affects the selection of dictionaries in the 'Manage dictionaries' screen. With the 'single' mode, you can only choose one dictionary to manipulate. With the 'multi' mode, you can choose several at once. Once you've made a selection, you can use the buttons at the bottom of the screen to move the selected dictionaries up or down, or change their From/To languages. You can also press Menu and choose to delete the selected dictionaries. That's the only thing the selection is used for.

Now, each dictionary has 'From' and 'To' language values attached to it. In the 'Manage dictionaries' screen you can change them. Then you can choose 'From' and 'To' languages in the main screen to constrain your searches only to the dictionaries which have those specific From and To languages. I.e. when you choose the 'En-Any' pair, you only search within the dictionaries which translate from English. If you go with 'En-Ru', you would further constrain your search to only use dictionaries translating from English to Russian. Right now that's the only way to choose specific dictionaries to search within. In the future dictionary groups may be introduced.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Dorset-TX » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks,
A very clear explanation, also useful to know how to delete dictionaries.

One last question (for the moment,hopefully) does GDfA support Lingvo DSL "labels"? The way these work seems to have changed since Ligngvo V10, the V10 help file is quite specific, the help file for X5 is light on detail and the abbrev.dsl now seems to be legacy. Although mouse over a label on the PC Version of X5 pops-up a tool-tip style brief description.

Sorry for lots of questions but I have been looking for a dictionary engine for personal dictionaries that currently only exist in SlovoEd (for Palm OS) format, that were originally compiled using the SlovoED dictionary compiler, now unsupported. So I have source for these dictionaries marked up for this compiler. The abbyy DSL format supports virtually all the functionality of the SlovoED dictionary format and the DLS mark-up is similar enough in format to be able to script a format converter. So with LingVo on PC and GoldenDict on Android I have got back dictionaries I lost when stopped using Palm OS.

So as you can see I have been trying to evaluate GDfA with sample DSL files before I comitted to investing (money and effort) in LingVo and GDfA. Have already been up too many cul-de-sacs with other formats that either had functionality missing or would have need huge amounts of time invested in manual format conversion.

regards,
R.
Dorset-TX

Postby ikm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:49 am

Labels in DSL/LSD are currently not supported. However, they were left out only due to lack of time - support for them is to be added in the future.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Dorset-TX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks for adding the quit option to the menu on the latest version.
Label support is not an issue but a nice to have so decided to jump while the paid version was on offer. Now all I have to do is to find the time to script a conversion programme for my dictionaries.
R.
Dorset-TX

Return to Bugs