New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Version of Sep 2011: list of dictionaries is not displayed

Report bugs here

Version of Sep 2011: list of dictionaries is not displayed

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 am

Now I use the latest version of GoldenDict Desktop of 1 September 2011 (early build). It has a new feature - a frame to the right with the list of dictionaries in which a word was found.
The problem is that it takes long for this list to appear. So, I have to use the old method of opening context menu with the list of dictionaries where the word was found. This list is available at once. Maybe the problem is because I have several online dictionaries among offline dictionaries.
The suggestion is to display offline dictionaries fast and a rotating disk for online dictionaries meaning that they are being checked. When they are available, to show them too.
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Re: Version of Sep 2011: list of dictionaries is not display

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah, the list on the right is presented only when everything is fully loaded and completed. So, if there are some online (slow) dictionaries, there might be a delay.

It was much easier to implement current behavior, but I understand the limitation and agree that something cleverer should be done for the long loading dictionaries.
Tvangeste

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 am

Two more bugs related to the frame of dictionaries on the right:
1) When I'm looking up a word, the frame still shows the list of dictionaries where the word of my previous request was found. The new list appears only after all information from online dictionaries is loaded.
2) When I click the last dictionary in the list to see its translation, the translation is displayed at the bottom of the main frame but not on the top as in case of other dictionaries
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 am

DOCENKO Dmitrijo wrote:2) When I click the last dictionary in the list to see its translation, the translation is displayed at the bottom of the main frame but not on the top as in case of other dictionaries

I'm not sure I understand this one. Could you please elaborate?

P.S. Could you reduce the size of you signature, while we're at it, it distracts too much... :)
Tvangeste

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 am

[quote]
2) When I click the last dictionary in the list to see its translation, the translation is displayed at the bottom of the main frame but not on the top as in case of other dictionaries
[/quote]

I will reword:
When I want to see translation in a certain dictionary, I click on this dictionary in the bar on the right with the list of dictionaries in which the word was found. After I do this text in the main frame (where dictionaries entries are shown) scrolls up (slider goes down) to this dictionary heading and the heading is placed on the top of the frame.
But if I click on the last dictionary in the list, its heading is placed not on the top of the frame with entries because there is no enough empty space under word entry of the last dictionary to put its heading on the top of the frame.
This issue is not a big deal but it is inconvenient to expect to see the dictionary heading on the top but to find it somewhere at the bottom.
It would also be nice to highlight the selected dictionary heading in the main frame.
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Postby chulai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm

This is how links to anchors work in Web Browser. Don't forget that GoldenDict uses a webkit browser. If the anchored text should appear at the top, the web browsers should add blank space at the end of the page which certainly is not how they work.

Tvangeste wrote:
DOCENKO Dmitrijo wrote:2) When I click the last dictionary in the list to see its translation, the translation is displayed at the bottom of the main frame but not on the top as in case of other dictionaries

I'm not sure I understand this one. Could you please elaborate?

P.S. Could you reduce the size of you signature, while we're at it, it distracts too much... :)
chulai

Postby chulai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:55 pm

DOCENKO Dmitrijo wrote:It would also be nice to highlight the selected dictionary heading in the main frame.

I think this is a great idea! A temporal hightlight of the name of the dictionary in the main frame would be a relative simple addition which would add some visual feedback.
chulai

Return to Bugs