New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Cannot run GoldenDict on Windows XP for the Second Time

Report bugs here

Cannot run GoldenDict on Windows XP for the Second Time

Postby cankara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 am

Hello,

I installed and used on Windows XP (although I didnot have any dictionary files available) GoldenDict 2 days ago and it seemed wonderful.
But yesterday the program didn't work. And I uninstall and reinstall the program and nothing changes. I get the message that something went wrong
and that the program needs to close. I got my system settings back 2 days but nothing changed then either.

Any suggestions?
I really need to use this program.

Bests.
cankara

Re: Cannot run GoldenDict on Windows XP for the Second Time

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 am

Which version do you use?

Try to delete the configuration file (it is typically located at: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\GoldenDict\config)
Tvangeste

Postby cankara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 am

Thank you so much for your reply.
I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 and GoldenDict 1.0.1.
The file you have written does not exist. No GoldenDict folder exists in the Application Data.
I searched the HD, but again, could not find such a config file. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program takes 3-4 seconds and
nothing changes. I get the message: "GoldenDict.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
The following are written when I click on the error message:

AppName: goldendict.exe AppVer: 1.0.1.0 ModName: qtwebkit4.dll
ModVer: 4.7.1.0 Offset: 008b55ca

The following files will be included in this report:
C:\DOCUME~1\cankara\LOCALS~1\Temp\da63_appcompat.txt
cankara

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm

The config file *must* exist somewhere! :)

You could also try the following newer version:
https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... or-Windows

Just extract it somewhere and execute. In menu for this newer version you could find: Help -> Configuration Folder. This should open an explorer window with configuration folder.
Tvangeste

Postby cankara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

No, unfortunately. I get the same message. Cannot even open the program. So cannot find the menu you have mentioned.
Sorry for wasting your time. I guess I have to give up.
Many thanks.
cankara

Postby chulai » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

The issue have to be a corrupted config file. So it doesn't matter how many times you install the program or which version, the old configuration remains and you cannot run the program. The solution is to find the GoldenDict config folder as Tvangeste suggested and delete it so the program recreate its own configuration from scratch.

Were you able to locate the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\ folder? If so, can you see a GoldenDict folder there?
You have to replace YOUR_USER_NAME with your actual username in your computer. I'm assuming you are using Windows XP and not Windows 7 or Vista.

cankara wrote:No, unfortunately. I get the same message. Cannot even open the program. So cannot find the menu you have mentioned.
Sorry for wasting your time. I guess I have to give up.
Many thanks.
chulai

Postby cankara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes, I have found the folder, deleted, unistalled and reinstalled the program, nothing changes.
The program icon appears on the task bar and then immediately I get the error message.
The same happens with the portable version.
cankara

Postby cankara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm

I mean, I deleted the folder containing the config dile.
cankara

Postby BusinessStream » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 pm

cankara wrote:Hello,

I installed and used on Windows XP (although I didnot have any dictionary files available) GoldenDict 2 days ago and it seemed wonderful.
But yesterday the program didn't work. And I uninstall and reinstall the program and nothing changes. I get the message that something went wrong
and that the program needs to close. I got my system settings back 2 days but nothing changed then either.

Any suggestions?
I really need to use this program.

Bests.

GO to accessories >system tools> System restore and try to backdate your machine on the date that you installed the software. This will indeed work.

Return to Bugs