New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Position of the new chrome-style status bar

Report bugs here

Position of the new chrome-style status bar

Postby betwee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 am

I have the latest GoldenDict built from git (and Ubuntu 10.04.2) and many times the position of the new chrome-style status bar is wrong, as you can see from the picture. I think it should be at the bottom, not in the center of the program.
And, is this feature supposed to display the URL when hovering the mouse over a "link" like the different ones you see in the Welcome page when starting GoldenDict? Because in my system it doesn't!
Attachments
Screenshot.gif
Screenshot.gif (26.23 KiB) Viewed 16989 times
betwee

Re: Position of the new chrome-style status bar

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 am

I think I've already fixed such problems. And yeah, the link hovers should work as well.

Please double-check that you use the latest version. Go to Help -> About (F1) and check which version you have.
Tvangeste

Postby betwee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 am

I have version 1.0.1-104-gace090d.
betwee

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 am

betwee wrote:I have version 1.0.1-104-gace090d.

Yeah, this is not the latest version. The main git repository has been moved to GitHub, and you're most probably using gitorious.

The new repo: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict

The link hovering feature has been added later then your version, that's the reason why you don't see it working. Please switch to the github repository and rebuild.

As for status bar location, your version already has the fixes for it, so it seems that we still have some cases when the location is not properly set...

We need to figure it out. Could you please provide more info on your system. Which Window Manager do you use, which theme? Do you have anything customized and non-standard in this area?

I tested on my 10.4 box, and it worked just fine there.
Tvangeste

Postby betwee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 am

You were right, I forgot to switch to GitHub. So, now after re-building I still the get the message (at times) at the wrong position, like before. I'm running Compiz with normal visual effects (proprietary nVidia drivers installed), using the default Ambiance theme and I don't remember having changed anything serious except my keyboard language (to French).

edit: Now that I disabled special effects, everything works fine, :), so it has to do with Compiz. Anyway, I must congratulate you for your work and your recent activity in making GoldenDict better, ;).
betwee

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 am

betwee wrote:edit: Now that I disabled special effects, everything works fine, :), so it has to do with Compiz.

Aha, good to know. I'll take a look. Does the status bar position corrects to its proper place when you move the window or resize it?

Anyway, I must congratulate you for your work and your recent activity in making GoldenDict better, ;).

Thanks! 8-)
Tvangeste

Postby betwee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 am

Tvangeste wrote:... Does the status bar position corrects to its proper place when you move the window or resize it?

I mainly open the program maximized, and that is when I get the problem I reported (when GoldenDict is not maximized I have no problem), so it's hard to move the window. But I tried to change the workspaces and unmaximize the program and the message actually got to the bottom like it should. Maybe it helps...
betwee

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 am

betwee wrote:I mainly open the program maximized, and that is when I get the problem I reported (when GoldenDict is not maximized I have no problem), so it's hard to move the window. But I tried to change the workspaces and unmaximize the program and the message actually got to the bottom like it should. Maybe it helps...

Yes, it does, we localized the situation further: The problem only happens with Compiz and when the app is maximized.

Btw, you could click on the status bar to immediately hide it, if incorrect position annoys you. :)
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 pm

I just tested on my box with compiz enabled, on both 10.04.2 and 11.04, and it works fine here. Maybe, some nvidia-related issue?
Tvangeste

Postby betwee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Tvangeste wrote:I just tested on my box with compiz enabled, on both 10.04.2 and 11.04, and it works fine here. Maybe, some nvidia-related issue?

It might be: right now the driver version I'm using for my nVidia graphics card is 173.14.22, and that is relatively old compared to the one I was using when I had Ubuntu 11.04 installed, but this is the most current driver that my system detects.
The way I tested with Compiz enabled and disabled was to open and close GoldenDict five times in a row, without doing any search or clicking anywhere. With Compiz enabled two out of five times I got the message in the left middle of the screen. With Compiz disabled the message was at its place the five times. It doesn't bother me too much, also now that you say it can be system related and not exactly confirmed.
betwee

Next

Return to Bugs