New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

System fonts or dictionary conversion problems

Report bugs here

System fonts or dictionary conversion problems

Postby llkd » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I am using the dictionary and it works but I see the entries in all caps and also some characters (I guess numbers) are displayed as empty rectangles in the definitions. I thought there might be problems with conversion to GoldenDict format or missing system fonts. How can I find the root causes and fix these problems?

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot-GoldenDict-1.png
Screenshot of GoldenDict
Screenshot-GoldenDict-1.png (142.22 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
llkd

Re: System fonts or dictionary conversion problems

Postby ikm » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:45 am

Which dictionary format is the dictionary in?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby kubtek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:17 am

I guess that these empty rectangles are images, not characters. Small images are commonly used in Babylon dictionaries to represent typography bullets and special glyphs. If I am not mistaken, GD does not handle StarDict dictionary resources now.

To prove my guess, save the article in a file (F2) and inspect the article content. You should find img tags in place of empty rectangles.
kubtek

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:59 am

Yeah, this is a typical Babylon style. Bullets and numbers are typically done via small pictures. Most probably, the dictionary was later converted to StardDict :)

Here's how this dictionary looks like in DSL form:
Tvangeste

Postby ikm » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:50 am

I'll add image support to our StarDict format implementation in the coming days. That's something which is asked for quite often.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby llkd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 am

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. kubtek is right. I saved the file and inspected the html file. There are image tags just in place of the rectangles. I don't remember what format it was, but the file name as shown by GD is stardict-babylon-OxfordTalkingDictionary-2.4.2.

Thanks for your time
llkd

Postby chulai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 pm

From the name "stardict-babylon-OxfordTalkingDictionary-2.4.2." clearly, It must be a stardict dictionary that was converted from a Babylon one as Tvangeste said.

llkd wrote:Hi,

Sorry for late reply. kubtek is right. I saved the file and inspected the html file. There are image tags just in place of the rectangles. I don't remember what format it was, but the file name as shown by GD is stardict-babylon-OxfordTalkingDictionary-2.4.2.

Thanks for your time
chulai

Return to Bugs