New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

hotkey disables Right key

Report bugs here

hotkey disables Right key

Postby kilele » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 am

I have configured "Right+Down" as hotkey to show the main window. Goldendict works well this way but this causes to disable right key on keyboard.
kilele

Re: hotkey disables Right key

Postby ikm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Hotkeys do prevent other programs from receiving them. This is usually desirable since when you press the hotkey to invoke GD, you don't want to confuse the currently running foreground program with that keystroke. The only exception right now is Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Ins, since those are specifically to make programs copy their currently selected text.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby kilele » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:37 pm

ikm wrote:Hotkeys do prevent other programs from receiving them.

Yes, I agree with the combination "right + down" to be exclusive to Goldendict but "right" and "down" shoudn't be unusable separately. While I'm writing this reply I can't use either of those keys. I guess that's why Babylon gives you the option of disable from tray bar.
kilele

Postby ikm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am

The only possible improvement here is to allow the second key to be accessible to programs unless the first one was just pressed. Would wouldn't you just be less creative and use some more conventional shortcuts instead?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby kilele » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 am

ikm wrote:wouldn't you just be less creative and use some more conventional shortcuts instead?

It's mora a matter of usability rather than creativity. It's just that cursors are placed on bottom right corner of my keyboard, so I don't have to look away from the screen when activating Goldendict. Well, thanks for your time, I'll look for a way around.
kilele

Return to Bugs