New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

GoldenDict doesnt work in firefox

Report bugs here

Re: GoldenDict doesnt work in firefox

Postby ertpresso » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:00 am

Scan popup feature does not work with Firefox 5 either. :(

I also don't have a "Win/Meta" option in that box in version 1.0.1. In any case I doubt this is related with this problem.
ertpresso

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 am

ertpresso wrote:Scan popup feature does not work with Firefox 5 either. :(

Yep, all the new browsers broke this ability to figure out the word under mouse (not only in GoldenDict, but in many, many other applications as well).
Tvangeste

Postby ertpresso » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am

Tvangeste wrote:
ertpresso wrote:Scan popup feature does not work with Firefox 5 either. :(

Yep, all the new browsers broke this ability to figure out the word under mouse (not only in GoldenDict, but in many, many other applications as well).

Thank you for your answer.

Are you aware of any planned/alternative solution for this or any workaround?
ertpresso

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:40 am

ertpresso wrote:Are you aware of any planned/alternative solution for this or any workaround?

One solution is currently under code review, Abs62 made a heroic effort to use some advanced API to obtain the word under cursor, at least in IE9. So, the scan pop-up could be operational in IE9 at least, pretty soon, I hope.

Other browsers, it's remain to be seen. There were some experiments with screen capture and then text recognition from the picture. This can work in any browser, but it is not 100% reliable, since text recognition is not reliable. This approach has never been properly implemented though, only experiments.

I've been testing Lingvo dictionary software that provides such functionality and found it lacking and more annoying then helpful (too much errors in recognition).

Personally, I would just recommend to use Control-C-C shortcut, to copy the word into the clipboard and then to invoke the translation. It works 100%, and pretty convenient. That's how I work with GD in browsers. Just double-click on any word (to select it) and then Control-C-C. That's it. And no need to rely on all those tricky methods to obtain the word under cursor.
Tvangeste

Postby ertpresso » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 am

Tvangeste wrote:Personally, I would just recommend to use Control-C-C shortcut, to copy the word into the clipboard and then to invoke the translation.

This is really working! :D
You have given me a great deal of help.
Thank you very much!
ertpresso

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 am

ertpresso wrote:This is really working! :D

Heh, glad to hear it. This is like GoldenDict's hidden gem, I've discovered that I could use this feature maybe after 2 years of actively using GoldenDict! 8-)
Tvangeste

Postby ertpresso » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 am

Tvangeste wrote:
ertpresso wrote:This is really working! :D

Heh, glad to hear it. This is like GoldenDict's hidden gem, I've discovered that I could use this feature maybe after 2 years of actively using GoldenDict! 8-)

Same here. I've been using Goldendict for years, however I haven't heard thsi key combination before. It is really a secret gem. I was getting frustrated with scan popup problems for long time. I wish I could learn this before. Thank you again.
ertpresso

Previous

Return to Bugs