New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Support for Babylon .GLS files?

All about dictionaries

Support for Babylon .GLS files?

Postby quanto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me whether or not GoldenDict works with .GLS files?

GLS files are the output files from Babylon Builder v.1.0. In fact, they are text files supporting HTML tags. This format is not encrypted.

If GLS format is currently not supported, is it possible to add it to GoldenDict?

I find Babylon Builder v.1.0 very convenient editor for simple user (custom) dictionaries - all the formatting tags are inserted by buttons and one can create a dictionary entry with all the formatting, links, embeded pictures, etc. much more quickly than when editing a raw tagged file (like DSL). It'a a pitty that there is no good WYSIWYG editor for DSL :(
quanto

Re: Support for Babylon .GLS files?

Postby ikm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 am

quanto wrote:If GLS format is currently not supported, is it possible to add it to GoldenDict?

Yes, of course this is possible. However, someone should do this :)

quanto wrote:I find Babylon Builder v.1.0 very convenient editor for simple user (custom) dictionaries - all the formatting tags are inserted by buttons and one can create a dictionary entry with all the formatting, links, embeded pictures, etc. much more quickly than when editing a raw tagged file (like DSL). It'a a pitty that there is no good WYSIWYG editor for DSL :(

This is quite interesting. Are you referring to Babylon Glossary Builder? I thought this tool could only be used to convert .GLS to .BGL, not actually edit entries interactively.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Re: Support for Babylon .GLS files?

Postby quanto » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi ikm,

I use the old version of Babylon Builder - v.1.0.63. See it attached: >>>
Babylon Builder 1.0.63.zip
Babylon Builder 1.0.63
(709.84 KiB) Downloaded 2823 times

The newest one is called: Babylon Glossary Builder 3.1.0 (r10). It doesn't have the editing functionalities.

So, I use GoldenDict as a dictionary application AND Babylon Builder v.1.0.63 as a kind of extension to build my custom dictionaries, while I'm working.

I do this in the following manner:

I created a user dictionary with Babylon Builder and put a shorcut to its GLS file on my taskbar. I set up GoldenDict to monitor the folder where the .GLS file is located. When I come accross a useful translation or phrase or whatever I want to put down in my custom dictionary, I just click on my custon dictionary shortcut. The dictionay file opens in Babylon Builder and I add the entry, make my changes with the WYSIWYG editor (offers the following functions: Cut, Copy, Paste,Hyperlink (to another dictionary entry, to a file, or to a URL address), Insert Image, Bold, Italic, Underline, Separator (a horizontal line accross the entry), Restore (= Undo)).

screenshot.jpg
Screenshot
screenshot.jpg (140.48 KiB) Viewed 18498 times

Then, I go to the next screen. I click on the Build button and Babylon Builder builds an BGL file.

Next time I use GoldenDict, I rescan and all my changes and user entries are in GoldenDict :)
quanto

Return to Dictionaries