New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

simplest dictionary format?

All about dictionaries

simplest dictionary format?

Postby mishu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:48 pm

i have several dictionaries, and i am a programmer, so i can convert them to almost anything.

what is the simplest format that GoldenDict is using?
I'd like to write a conversion script that GD will read and will index.

i've read the other topic ("custom dictionaries") but there was no specific detailed format description, there was just an example which i didn't understand.

thanks
mishu

Re: simplest dictionary format?

Postby ikm » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:25 am

The simplest for non-programmer is Dsl, since it's a text-only, bbtags-like file format. However, the simplest for a programmer might probably still be StarDict -- I find myself easier to make those dictionaries, since no escaping etc is involved. It's mostly binary though, so it's hard for a non-programmer.

StarDict file format is documented here.
Dsl file format is documented as part of the ABBYY Lingvo program's documentation. You could probably google yourself a copy of "Lingvo0.chm" -- there's an appendix there with a subchapter called "DSL Compiler", it should have all the details.

Another option is to take stardict-tools and use any input format (e.g. csv, |-separated etc), then convert to stardict.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby C2BlEv » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Just my two cents. There has grown a significant community around dsl-format dictionaries due to its simplicity and ease of comprehension for non-programmers. So, any dsl-aware tool that you create could also be a boon for that community.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby dg333 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:41 am

Right, there is a bulk of DSL dictionaries created by the community. But DSL is a dead end, because, as ABBYY clearly expressed in their support forum, was meant for visualizing dictionaries rather than for structuring them. XDXF or something similar would be a better option. Alas, few people show interest in it…
dg333

Postby MaximeB » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:01 pm

A simple format is tab separated plain text.
Each entry is made of a line beginning with key word followed by a tab followed by a definition.

keyword{tab}Definition

To get a Stardict dictionary, you can compile it using stardict-editor.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardic ... /stardict/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardic ... r/download
This is a Windows application with a graphical interface.
MaximeB

Postby mishu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 pm

MaximeB wrote:A simple format is tab separated plain text.
Each entry is made of a line beginning with key word followed by a tab followed by a definition.

keyword{tab}Definition

funny, that's the format i came up with.
all my dictionaries are in this format.

thanks everybody!
mishu

Postby levent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

mishu wrote:i have several dictionaries, and i am a programmer, so i can convert them to almost anything.

i've read the other topic ("custom dictionaries") but there was no specific detailed format description, there was just an example which i didn't understand.

thanks

I have MSAccess dictionary databases. I wished to use them with my GoldenDict program.

1) I used OpenOffice.org and OxygenOffice Professional, I exported data to an Excel file. Babylon bgl builder program did not accept this Excel file.

2) I used MSOffice2010 Beta, I exported data to an Excel file. Babylon bgl builder program accepted this Excel file and I created my bgl dictionaries for my Goldendict program.

http://www.babylon.com/support/step-by- ... ilder.html

Download bgl builder program:
http://www.babylon.com/products/glossary-builder.html
levent

Postby mlvpf » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:12 pm

mishu wrote:i have several dictionaries, and i am a programmer, so i can convert them to almost anything.

thanks

Please, I succeeded in converting Stardict Wordnet Dictionary to the text file which I want to convert to .pml format to be used with Dropbook for the final conversion to .pdb format for use with eReader Pro. How do I convert the various tags in the text file the get the \I PML tag used to delimit an index item in the dictionary. Example: \Iaardvark\I as explained in http://www.ereader.com/ereader/help/dropbook/pml.htm? Sorry, I don't have knowledge in programming. Your assistance would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
mlvpf

Postby C2BlEv » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Wordnet you say? You should start with Gloggy's version in dsl format (http://prdownload.berlios.de/goldendict ... .0_1.0.zip). It is light years ahead of any other Wordnet out there. Since dsl is a text format, you should be able to convert it to anything else you please without any difficulty using any advanced text editor, like emeditor, and regular expressions.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Return to Dictionaries