New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Trouble indexing

All about dictionaries

Trouble indexing

Postby ety43 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:33 pm

When trying to index a DSL of The Oxford Thesaurus - An A-Z Dictionary of Synonyms (uses [trn], [ex] and does not require indexing during the compilation for Lingvo where it works fine) GoldenDict gets stuck when opening. It shows the indexing window for a while and then the window disappears. The program window never shows. The process remains in the Task Manager but is idle. Killing the process makes it possible to start the program and the cycle repeats.

Thanks for looking into this...

The above is the behavior at program startup. From within the program it does not work either...
Last edited by ety43 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ety43

Re: Trouble indexing

Postby ety43 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:16 am

Also, is it expected that indexing of BGL dictionaries takes a very long time? In fact I am yet to successfully add one. Has been waiting for 15min now...

Just reporting that I have since had success with some BGL dictionary but not, notably, with Shorter Oxford or Oxford Concise.

Further update. I was trying to load the dictionaries at program startup. With my BGL content the indexing did work fine when rescanning from within the program. Not sure what that means but perhaps you will find this information useful in some way.
ety43

Postby ety43 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 am

Looks like this is some kind of memory leak as I am observing the program using 100% of one processor core trying to index with RAM consumption increasing up till 2Gb at which point the process goes to the background and the processor activity ceases. The only way the process can be killed from this moment on is manually.

Oh, and this is on WinXP 32 SP3
ety43

Postby C2BlEv » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 pm

ety43 wrote:When trying to index a DSL of The Oxford Thesaurus - An A-Z Dictionary of Synonyms (uses [trn], [ex] and does not require indexing during the compilation for Lingvo where it works fine) GoldenDict gets stuck when opening. It shows the indexing window for a while and then the window disappears. The program window never shows. The process remains in the Task Manager but is idle. Killing the process makes it possible to start the program and the cycle repeats.

It appears that there are several versions of this dictionary for Lingvo floating around. I've just installed the one done by Arkadiy Kurakin and it works just fine (after I had decompiled the lsd file into dsl).

Are you using the latest GD? Are you dealing with dsl (not lsd!) file?

Added:
I've tried another version and it works fine too. This one looks even better.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby ety43 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:12 am

Yes, the latest version of GD. Yes, a DSL file, Version 1.5 11/03/2005

Still does not work, just double-checked. Makes GD run out of memory and crash.

Thanks for trying this...!
ety43

Return to Dictionaries