New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

"Add Word" functionality + User Dictionaries

All about dictionaries

"Add Word" functionality + User Dictionaries

Postby quanto » Wed May 06, 2009 2:35 pm

It will be great if you add the ability to create user dictionaries and enable the user to add words to them - just like in Lingvo but supporting full formatting (bold, italic, hyperlinks, etc). For example, when searching for a word and it is not present in the existing dictionaries, you just click the button "Add" and you can easily type its meaning. This is a feature that lacks in most of the popular dictionaries like Babylon, Lingoes, StarDict, SimpleDict. It exists only in Lingvo but its file format doesn't support enhanced formatting :(
quanto

Re: "Add Word" functionality + User Dictionaries

Postby ikm » Wed May 06, 2009 2:44 pm

That might be done in future, but this feature would probably be most useful when creating real dictionaries, and then a lot of questions arise -- which format to use, how to organize the whole process, different dictionaries etc. So all in all this would require quite a lot of consideration.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Nazar » Fri May 08, 2009 6:11 pm

I'd say an ideal implementation of this feature from the user perspective (something many have been dreaming about) is as follows:
* open a card of any dictionary in View mode;
* switch to Edit mode through a Key Shortcut or icon click or right-click menu, when something needs to be revised/added for this card;
* the View window turns into a mini text editor, where all the changes, including formatting, can be entered;
* finally, one can 'Save Changes' (or not) when one leaves the edited card;
* 'add new card' command just opens the same mini text editor window with an empty card...
I wonder if this kind of feature would be possible to implement?
Nazar

Postby ikm » Fri May 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Nazar wrote:* finally, one can 'Save Changes' (or not) when one leaves the edited card;

And where would it save it to? Back to the original dictionary? Or as a new card which would override the old one from that point on?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Nazar » Fri May 08, 2009 6:49 pm

ikm wrote:
Nazar wrote:* finally, one can 'Save Changes' (or not) when one leaves the edited card;

And where would it save it to? Back to the original dictionary? Or as a new card which would override the old one from that point on?

That would depend on User Preferences for Editing. The selectable options might include:
* keep the original dictionary backup and create a new editable one with modifications once first edit is made (use this new one from that point onward);
* write modifications directly to the original dictionary (for advanced editors);
* keep a separate extra dictionary file with only those cards which had been edited; in View mode user can choose whether to display the modified cards (they would override the original cards if both exist), or to show the original content;
* on more advanced stages of development one could think of keeping the history of edits for each card, then there would be an options to accept/reject some or all changes (refer to MS Word document revisions or Wikipedia article Edit History).
Hope this user perspective is not out of practical reach from the programmer's point of view :)
Nazar

Postby ikm » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 pm

I think the only perspective here which looks feasible and practical is just to introduce editable dictionaries. Maybe in .dsl format. Anyways, this is not a priority right now - anyone wanting that feature is welcome to implement it.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby quanto » Sat May 09, 2009 10:38 am

I fully support Nazar's suggestions. Of course, it's not a priority feature but this project will gain a great advantage over the other similar dictionary software if it implements the functionality to add full-formated new entries to users' dictionaries. Editing and saving the existing dictionaries from within GoldenDict will be a great benefit as well.

Surely, we will wait for these functionalities until the software is ready for them.

Nazar wrote:I'd say an ideal implementation of this feature from the user perspective (something many have been dreaming about) is as follows:
* open a card of any dictionary in View mode;
* switch to Edit mode through a Key Shortcut or icon click or right-click menu, when something needs to be revised/added for this card;
* the View window turns into a mini text editor, where all the changes, including formatting, can be entered;
* finally, one can 'Save Changes' (or not) when one leaves the edited card;
* 'add new card' command just opens the same mini text editor window with an empty card...
I wonder if this kind of feature would be possible to implement?
quanto

Postby C2BlEv » Wed May 13, 2009 3:22 am

Quanto, while I completely agree with the suggestion to have a built-in editor of some sort for on the fly additions/modifications, do not overlook the fact that you already can easily create and modify "user" dictionaries, at least those in the dsl format. They are all "user" dictionaries in the sense that they are simple txt files, which do not require compilation before you can connect them to GoldenDict.

For example, you can open any dsl file (a Lingvo format) in any Unicode text editor (e.g., emeditor), do whatever you want with the source (subject to dsl restrictions, of course). When you are done GoldenDict will pick this file up as one of its own.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby kingbudz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

i think im going to back in a original User Dictionaries, anyway some formats are good..

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Many people want GoldenDict to combine 3 functionalities: dictionary, flashcard program (to learn words) and program for creating own dictionaries.
I suggest not to distract attention of creators of GoldenDict from developing dictionary, because the other 2 functionalities (learning words and creating dictionaries) can already be very well implemented by using Anki (www.ichi2.net/anki). It's free, open source and can work under several operating systems.
It's the most convenient program for creating dictionaries. First you create dictionary and then enter information in fields of your choice (word, translation, meaning, synonyms, antonyms, transcription, image, audio, video etc.). So you work with fields and do not see tags. Anki supports formatting - it has what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, you can even use html formatting. Anki uses Unicode (dictionary can be for any languages). You can even create multilingual concept dictionaries. Anki dictionaries are based on sqlite database (if I'm not mistaken).
By using the main functionality of Anki - learning words - you can even learn new words in your dictionary.
The only problem is that GoldenDict cannot look up words in dictionaries of Anki format. I believe it is easier to solve this problem than to try to create monster program combining the 3 functionalities and to compete with the best in the world flashcard program Anki.
Till this problem is solved, you can use Anki to create your dictionary. When it is ready, you can extract it into .txt format, convert this file to .dsl format and use it as dictionary with GoldenDict. Or just to look up words in 2 programs - GoldenDict and Anki.
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Next

Return to Dictionaries