New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

great collection of dictionaries

All about dictionaries

Re: great collection of dictionaries

Postby pintree3 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 pm

It seems that Babylon works independant of GoldenDict so I can't help wonder why if you have Babylon you would want GoldenDict and GoldenDict is the one I want. Anyhow, I did install the babylon and when their website opened it only had dictionaries to purchase, at what I think are crazy prices and not the free 77 that they claim so somewhere there muct be a way of getting these but I can't find them nor do I know how to associate babylong with, GoldenDict and also, if I may ask another question, does baylon need to be running in order to get access to the dictionaries? if so I would probably want to opt out of this--since this implies cookies and a whole lot of other unwanted things.
thank you
pintree3

Postby afduggirala » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:36 pm

The link to the Free babylon dictionaries is in the goldendict website (dictionaries section)
http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionaries/
afduggirala

Postby C2BlEv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm

pintree3,

I'll try to explain in simple terms. Electronic dictionary programs consist of two parts: (i) a dictionary viewer program (viewer); and (ii) actual dictionary files (content). The first is like a DVD player, while the second is like DVD disks.

GoldenDict is a dictionary viewer program (like DVD player) that can work with dictionary files from many other electronic dictionary programs (it can play DVD disks with different formats). You don't need Babylon dictionary viewer program running. All you need is Babylon dictionary files (or Lingvo dictionary files, Stardict dictionary files, etc.) installed and connected to GoldenDict.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby drgibbon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm a bit confused about the Babylon dictionaries. I know they offer free .bgl files that work with GD, but for example could I buy this Babylon dictionary and use the .bgl file with GD, or is there some kind of DRM/obfuscation on the dictionary file? I emailed Babylon support about this and they are not very helpful at all.
drgibbon

Return to Dictionaries