New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Creating custom dictionaries with sound

All about dictionaries

Creating custom dictionaries with sound

Postby harriette » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi,
I just created an account on this forum and would like to start off by saying that I've been using GoldenDict for quite a few years now and that it's one of my favorite applications of all time. So I would like to say thank you to everybody who has been involved in its development!
Having said that, the reason I'm creating this thread is that I recently began making some dictionaries of my own using the stardict-tools, but I haven't been able to figure out how to create dictionaries that include audio files. Is there a dictionary format that allows me to reference audio files (several if possible) inside an entry and bundle them together with the dictionary itself?

Using the search function I found some related threads, but none that answered my question:

Many thanks in advance
harriette

Re: Creating custom dictionaries with sound

Postby Abs62 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:41 pm

You can just pack sound files into zip archive and change its extension from ".zip"to ".zips".
Abs62

Postby harriette » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 am

Thank you very much for your response. I know that I can create a zip archive with the recordings, but the problem is that I'm creating a dictionary for a morphologically rich language in which a given word can occur in many different forms. I would like to be able to play the audio file for a given word regardless of which form the user typed into the search bar.

For example, in a Babylon dictionary I would have an entry such as the following:

Code: Select all
gelmek|geliyorum|geliyor musun|gelmek istiyorum|geldim|gelmeyelim|gelmedim|...
to come

Whenever the user looks at this entry he should be able to listen to the recording for the basic form "gelmek". If I were to use the method you suggested, I would have to duplicate the audio file for every form. Do you have any suggestions?
harriette

Postby harriette » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

For anyone else who comes across this thread in search of an answer to the same question:

I found out that there's a dictionary format called XDXF which is apparently also supported by Goldendict even though it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the website. The specification of XDXF includes a tag that allows the inclusion of multiple audio files in a dictionary entry. Its usage is as follows:

Code: Select all
<rref lctn="audio/transcription1.mp3"/>

Source: https://github.com/soshial/xdxf_makedic ... ription.md
harriette

Return to Dictionaries