New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

BGL dictionaries and other questions

All about dictionaries

BGL dictionaries and other questions

Postby hihihi100 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello there:

Xubuntu 12.04 and goldendict from the repo 1.0.1+git

All babylon dictionaries (BGL) I have are the ones I found in a torrent. Those weren't BGL's per se: each dictionary has an idx, ifo and syn files that I cannot edit (babylon policy I guess).

Like some of you I have been trying to get some of their "free" dictionaries from their site, to not avail: I have never extracted a single BGL, but the known set of hidden files (crt, data, rdata...) that I, again, cannot even edit.

Got a copy of babylon 9 pro installed with wine and other than a babylon icon in the upper pannel I see nothing. Inside the data folder of babylon I found 26 bgl files, all with the following structure: Babylon_Dutch_English_sub.BGL, indeed a BGL, recognized by goldendict, but totally empty when it comes to words.

Im asking for:

Volunteers to torrent or that would accept to pass me copies of Traditional Chinese - English and the other way round babylon dicts (must have pinyin with tones), OR

A way to edit any of the mentioned formats under linux, OR

A way to extract the BGL files from the already installed babylon 9 I have with all the useful information.

Also: to any windows user: does having a working babylon9 allow you to create the bgl files?

And, about the following:

Those can be downloaded here, from the official Babylon site. If instead of .bgl files you are getting .exe installers, use 7Zip to extract them (use full version of 7Zip, the one which supports CAB files). The .bgl files would be inside.

I get the exe's, I use 7zip under wine as downloaded from 7zip's official site and no, the bgl files are not inside. Am I alone in this?

Cheers

Forgot: cant you have an irc channel in freenode or OFTC?
hihihi100

Re: BGL dictionaries and other questions

Postby chulai » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:29 pm

hihihi100 wrote:Hello there:

Xubuntu 12.04 and goldendict from the repo 1.0.1+git

All babylon dictionaries (BGL) I have are the ones I found in a torrent. Those weren't BGL's per se: each dictionary has an idx, ifo and syn files that I cannot edit (babylon policy I guess).

idx/ifo/syn are all files of Stardict dictionaries, not Babylon.

hihihi100 wrote:
Like some of you I have been trying to get some of their "free" dictionaries from their site, to not avail: I have never extracted a single BGL, but the known set of hidden files (crt, data, rdata...) that I, again, cannot even edit.

Got a copy of babylon 9 pro installed with wine and other than a babylon icon in the upper pannel I see nothing. Inside the data folder of babylon I found 26 bgl files, all with the following structure: Babylon_Dutch_English_sub.BGL, indeed a BGL, recognized by goldendict, but totally empty when it comes to words.

if the files have a size of 1 or 2kb then they are not the actual dictionary files. Check the following topic to find the folder with the BGL files viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1636#p7273

hihihi100 wrote:
Im asking for:

Volunteers to torrent or that would accept to pass me copies of Traditional Chinese - English and the other way round babylon dicts (must have pinyin with tones), OR

This forum is not to share links to illegal content. It's to discuss dictionaries issues with GoldenDict or free and public dictionaries.

hihihi100 wrote:

A way to edit any of the mentioned formats under linux, OR

You cannot edit BGL files, not even with Babylon as far as I know.

hihihi100 wrote:
A way to extract the BGL files from the already installed babylon 9 I have with all the useful information.

Again, check viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1636#p7273

hihihi100 wrote:

Also: to any windows user: does having a working babylon9 allow you to create the bgl files?

No. If you want to create your own BGL files you can use a tool called Babylon Glossary Builder. Search in google.

hihihi100 wrote:
And, about the following:

Those can be downloaded here, from the official Babylon site. If instead of .bgl files you are getting .exe installers, use 7Zip to extract them (use full version of 7Zip, the one which supports CAB files). The .bgl files would be inside.

I get the exe's, I use 7zip under wine as downloaded from 7zip's official site and no, the bgl files are not inside. Am I alone in this?

Cheers

Forgot: cant you have an irc channel in freenode or OFTC?

Babylon has changed the way they allow people to get the free dictionaries. But if you own a license of Babylon OR you have a trial you can use babylon to download those free dictionaries and then look in the babylon data folder for the cached files (BGL, not BDC). Then you can use copy these files and use them with GoldenDict. Check the link I provided above.

Regards,

Chulai
chulai

Return to Dictionaries