New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Why GD don't introduce a glossary builder like Babylon GB

All about dictionaries

Why GD don't introduce a glossary builder like Babylon GB

Postby ALGD2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi every one, I'm writing this just after seeing Wikipedia announce about SOPA and PIPA. So every day i feel more need for open source software. I can offer a glossary which I have written that, but I don't want to publish it in BLG format, since they are not open source. Why GD don't introduce an easy glossary builder program, to people like me publish that for free?
ALGD2

Re: Why GD don't introduce a glossary builder like Babylon G

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

There is a very simple text-based DSL format, which doesn't require much of a toolkit to produce pretty nice looking dictionaries.

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1232

And here: https://github.com/VVSiz/SampleDSL
Tvangeste

Postby ALGD2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 am

Dear Tvangeste, unfortunately i'm a windows people, and i can't get the gist of the quite handy code which you have written in the sample file. Is there en exe. program for this? Is it possible, for me, to copy my text form open document spreadsheet to a certain part of the sample file you introduced me?
Thanks
ALGD2

Postby MaximeB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I am mostly a Windows user too, but I make small glossaries in dsl format all the time. It is very handy because you just need a plain text editor like Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/). No heavy complicated program to learn, no compilation.
It is perfect for small glossaries that you change very often.

You can try this for yourself.
Just create a new file in your text editor, and copy the following in it:

Code: Select all
#NAME "Sample DSL Dictionary"
#INDEX_LANGUAGE   "English"
#CONTENTS_LANGUAGE   "English"

first entry
    Entry with [b]bold[/b] and [i]italic[/i] and []blue[] words and a reference to <<second entry>>.

second entry
    Nothing special here. Reference to <<first entry>>.

Then put the dsl file with your other Goldendict dictionaries. In GoldenDict, choose File / Recan files.
Now search for "first entry", you will see the first entry with words in bold, italics and blue and a reference to "second entry".

Now you can change your file and do File / Rescan files in GoldenDict again. Your changes will appear immediately.
MaximeB

Return to Dictionaries