New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

making a dictionary from data

All about dictionaries

Re: making a dictionary from data

Postby Alec » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am

I apologize: I should have explained in more detail. You are right, of course.

The format that I used has the arrangement:"headword TAB definition" all on one line in the source file, rather than putting the definition on a separate line, but, apart from that, I used the technique that you describe.

The original text contains lots of duplicate entries; i.e. the same word is defined slightly differently in more than one place in the dictionary. Those duplicates are flagged as errors by the StarDict compiler.

For simplicity, I simply concatenated those duplicates into a single entry for each headword; after all, that is how the user is likely to see them in everyday use.

An alternative would be to use Babylon format, which puts the definition(s) on a separately line and allows multiple alternative definitions for the same headword. Personally, I don't see much advantage in doing that, because the user will see all the definitions anyway; however, it is a perfectly good technique.

Best wishes,

Alec.
Alec

Postby Dhammadarsa Bhikkhu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 am

I think concatenating the duplicate entries makes sense.

I just tried to do the formatting.

I havent' used macros for a while and thought it would automatically go through the whole document if it was highlighted, but found it didn't.

I:
1) opened the file in a word processor;
2) recorded a macro (and assigned a keyboard shortcut "Alt F1") that looks for the paragraph mark (^p in Word), then looks for a space, then replaces the space with a tab (^t in Word) and stoped recording;
3) recorded a new macro (Alt F2) with 10 x Alt F1.
4) continued to press Alt F2 until I reached the end.
That worked fine. :-)
Dhammadarsa Bhikkhu

Postby johnjoshyy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:35 am

I think it would be a lot easier if Bebook gave the necessary links plus explanation on the site!

dictionary english to urdu
johnjoshyy

Postby shawan23 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 am

johnjoshyy wrote:I think it would be a lot easier if Bebook gave the necessary links plus explanation on the site!

dictionary english to urdu

very nice disscution if u dont understand any urdu word here u can see that in dictionary english to urdu
shawan23

Previous

Return to Dictionaries