New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

windows xp user,dictionary,3 parts,usage(?)

All about dictionaries

windows xp user,dictionary,3 parts,usage(?)

Postby newcomer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hello.I'm a user on windows xp,can you help me?

[link removed, just in case -- Moderator]

This page give the download link of certain dictionary And I translated it into english as follow:
-------------------------------------
the source of the dictionary in the language of DSL (11,5 MB)
illustration (41.7 MB) [ Help ]
British pronunciation (RapidShare, 181 MB)
American pronunciation (RapidShare, 177 MB)
-------------------------------------
There's 3 kinds of files Above,including:

DSL
illustration
pronunciation file

Question 1 :
Only installing DSL file,it's impossible to see illustration and hear the pronunciation,is this right?
Is it necessary to download the illustration and pronunciation file ?

So,will Goldendict automatically combine the 3 parts into single file, when I add this dictionary (placing these 3 parts in the same folder)?

Will Goldendict import automatically illustration and pronunciation files, when I add this dictionary (placing these 3 parts in the same folder)?

Question 2:
If the answer is positive in Question 1.

How to combine these 3 parts together?

I hope to see illustration and hear the pronunciation as intact experience ,while searching word.

for me,a windows user, I've read some article about this, but they are all used under linux OS and linux command.
I haven't use linux before.
newcomer

Re: windows xp user,dictionary,3 parts,usage(?)

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

DSL format is very similar to HTML, since it is a pure text based format, with some formatting tags. For any media (images, sounds), there is a special tag in DSL, that expects a file name of the media resource. Very similar to HTML. So, for GoldenDict to find those files, listed as media resources in the DSL file, they need to be in the same directory as the main DSL dictionary.

So, the very simple approach is: get all the media files and extract them into the directory where DSL file is. Make sure thare are *NO* subfolders, everything should be in the same directory.

And that's it. Once this works, there are additional tweaks to reduce the size of the dictionary (compressing the DSL file via dictzip and compressing the media resources into a single specially named zip archive), but this is optional, advanced step. Make sure the first step with just copying everything into a single directory works.

And yeah, in order to hear sounds and see images you need to download all of them and extract. The DSL files (being a pure text) doesn't have any media resources embedded.
Tvangeste

Return to Dictionaries