New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

mdict mdx file

All about dictionaries

mdict mdx file

Postby freefall » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:02 am

this amazing software has replaced my long-time friend, Mdict which is great for its huge repertoire of dictionary files, more than the combined number of Babylon and stardict , i suppose. now i have to convert my large pool of MDX files into dict.dz files to be compatible with goldendict. doest the author have any plan to add support for MDX files?
freefall

Re: mdict mdx file

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:27 am

MDict's format is not currently supported. See here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=974

Do you know is the format documented somewhere or is it completely proprietary?

Also, it seems to me that here are many more dictionaries in DSL and stardict formats compared to MDict, and there are very active communities around DSL and Stardict formats too. So it seems that supporting this additional format in GoldenDict is highly unlikely.
Tvangeste

Postby freefall » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am

thanks for you reply, I guess this format is close. but there are some android apps that support this format,so i assume it's not impossible for goldendict to support it. some of the dict data may have been converted from stardict as you said. but some of dicts in my daily use seems to have no equivalent in other formats, such as Oxford English Dictionary,LDOCE 5th(including full-sized word and example pronunciation), Merriam-Webster Unabridge Dictionary, full sized English Wikipedia, etc.as of today, there are over 1400 dicts recorded here http://pdawiki.5d6d.com/thread-104-1-1.html. thanks
freefall

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 am

It is a little known fact, but most of the dictionaries you've mention were originally created/converted for Lingvo DSL format, and then converted to other formats, such as mdx. :)
Tvangeste

Postby Zeper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 pm

some apps on android suport for mdx format,so it is not impossible to goldendict support for mdx.
Zeper

Postby viarm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:42 pm

:D
Here is a program to covert .mdx to StarDict format. Unfortunately, it looks like .mdd file is not to be supported. :cry:

http://pdawiki.5d6d.com/viewthread.php?tid=6810
Last edited by viarm on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viarm

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

For those who landed here searching for Mdict support: MDict support has been recently added to GoldenDict and the development build is available for you to try: viewtopic.php?p=9640#p9640
Tvangeste

Return to Dictionaries