New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Can't find .bgl file after downloading from babylon!

All about dictionaries

Can't find .bgl file after downloading from babylon!

Postby perfwill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 am

I tried downloading some dictionaries from the official babylon page, as goldendict's instruction cited. After that, I use 7zip to extract the .exe file to a directory, but the result is some crazy .data, .rdata... files, no .bgl there! Do you have any idea? What's wrong here? (all the "dictionaries" I downloaded are just more than 600kb in size :| )
Thanks a lot if you can help,
Hai
perfwill

Re: Can't find .bgl file after downloading from babylon!

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 am

For some reason, babylon site responds with the same link to the babylon *installer* instead of any dictionary. Either some kind of error or very sleazy tactics, saying "download dictionary" and instead providing the link to the babylon setup.

Babylon is getting lower and lower these days. How users can even use such a software (ugly, slow and barely functional) is just beyond me... :)
Tvangeste

Postby perfwill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 am

may be they don't want us to use their bgl with another dictionary software, right? ^^
perfwill

Postby chulai » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I own a copy of Babylon 6 and I tried to download, from inside the program, some free dictionaries with no luck. The download links always point the Babylon 9 installer now. So, this means that I can no longer download free dictionaries if I don't upgrade. I'm afraid that if I choose to upgrade, my license would not be valid anymore. According to their FAQ you have to pay to upgrade http://support.babylon.com/index.php?_m ... icleid=219
Thank goodness I downloaded all the dictionaries I wanted to use a long time ago and moved to GoldenDict!
chulai

Postby an_onlooker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

For me, using "install" option in dictionary menu from inside the program would download .bgl files into [sys drive letter]:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Babylon. Extracting files with WinRar worked for premium dictionaries (e. g. Merriam-Webster dict) only.
an_onlooker

Postby chulai » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 am

an_onlooker wrote:For me, using "install" option in dictionary menu from inside the program would download .bgl files into [sys drive letter]:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Babylon. Extracting files with WinRar worked for premium dictionaries (e. g. Merriam-Webster dict) only.

Which version do you have? With Babylon 6, I don't see any file under that directory.
chulai

Postby an_onlooker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:56 pm

chulai wrote:Which version do you have? With Babylon 6, I don't see any file under that directory.

I've just downloaded it from the official site. Must be Babylon 9 therefore. In any case, you can find your specific folder for dict files using "install" button in the abovementioned dict menu and some soft for discovering locked files. AVG Tuneup or Advanced System Care will do. I mean, the process babylon.exe locks the dictionary file while downoading into it, so you'll be able to locate it.

Update: yeah, sure, the location folder depends on the OS rather than upon number of Babylon version.
an_onlooker

Postby shurkes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:09 am

If anybody still wants, i still have some babylon file before they blocked it.
english spanish, vice versa
hebrew english, vice versa
shurkes

Postby Patrik » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Well just use the wayback service of web.archive.org and you will succeed to get them downloaded.
I just had the same problem and is solved now.
Patrik
Patrik

Postby thephilos » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:39 am

Patrik wrote:Well just use the wayback service of web.archive.org and you will succeed to get them downloaded.
I just had the same problem and is solved now.
Patrik

well i've been able to download only SOME of the dictionaries with this(partial) solution,i wish to know if there still exist a definitive way to download ALL of them,thx
thephilos

Next

Return to Dictionaries