New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Looking for Technical Dictionary

All about dictionaries

Looking for Technical Dictionary

Postby grnorris » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Pretty much what the title says: I'm looking for a dictionary file that will tell me things like what TLS and SSL stand for. I'm studying Computer Science Engineering and am very much interested in technology but, even I don't know all the terms so a dictionary file that adds this functionality would be great. It does of course need to be an offline resource (if I was always online with GoldenDict then I wouldn't really need this kind of dictionary).

Thanks in advnanced
grnorris

Re: Looking for Technical Dictionary

Postby dg333 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am

Why not simply add Wikipedia to your dictionary list?
dg333

Postby grnorris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Wikipedia is not an offline resource.
grnorris

Postby Patrik » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Hello

I used to download a babylon file named "Abkuerzungsverzeichnis.BGL" which does show you that you are looking for e.g.:

ANSC
<B>A</B>merican <B>N</B>ational <B>S</B>tandards <B>I</B>nstitute -&gt; <A href='http://www.ansi.org'>www.ansi.org</A>

Search on the internet for that file and use it with Goldendict.

Best regards
Patrik
Patrik

Postby grnorris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Patrik wrote:Hello

I used to download a babylon file named "Abkuerzungsverzeichnis.BGL" which does show you that you are looking for e.g.:

ANSC
<B>A</B>merican <B>N</B>ational <B>S</B>tandards <B>I</B>nstitute -&gt; <A href='http://www.ansi.org'>www.ansi.org</A>

Search on the internet for that file and use it with Goldendict.

Best regards
Patrik

I searched for the file but couldn't find anywhere to download it. I found a site in German (woxikon) that looks like it may be the origin of the file but, my translator can only go so far on that site. If you could get me an actual link to the file it would be much appreciated. Also any other suggestions as this would only cover part of my needs. The abbreviations a big deal but a little on how it works would be good too. For instance if I typed in TLS I'd want not only the expanded term but also a full definition of TLS and how it works.
grnorris

Postby Patrik » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:13 am

Good morning

I attached the file and have fun with it.
Patrik
Attachments
Abkuerzungsverzeichnis.zip
(106.13 KiB) Downloaded 964 times
Patrik

Postby grnorris » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks, this covers a little bit at least. I still need a more complete technical dictionary though. Don't have time now but, I may know of one place to search.

Also, if you could tell me where to get that file in case I should want to update it.

Patrik wrote:Good morning

I attached the file and have fun with it.
Patrik
grnorris

Postby gulyasan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 am

grnorris wrote:Wikipedia is not an offline resource.

We could make it offline by using Aard dictionary files: http://aarddict.org/
It would be nice to add to GoldenDict the aard file format as well
gulyasan

Postby grnorris » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:17 pm

gulyasan wrote:
grnorris wrote:Wikipedia is not an offline resource.

We could make it offline by using Aard dictionary files: http://aarddict.org/
It would be nice to add to GoldenDict the aard file format as well

While that is certainly a possibility it's also true that Wikipedia is a horrible resource overall as anyone can edit it and I've met plenty of people who screw around with the definitions, especially when they know some stupid friend is going to rely on it.

Also Wikipedia is huge so an offline copy would be ridiculously large and probably take up a large hard drive by itself.

Finally, Wikipedia is an everything resource and may or may not be written for technical purposes.

If someone could find a dictionary with explanations of how things work as well as more abbreviations (Abkuerzungsverzeichnis covers a few and is a really good resource but doesn't focus on technical abbreviations).
grnorris

Postby gulyasan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:33 am

Wikipedia is not such a large file using it offline. The Hungarian version for example is 350 Mb, the Italian as far as I remember 500 Mb. It is not small, but if someone has internet connection problems it is useful to know that there is this opportunity using the Aard format as described above and elswhere on the forum. Therefore the Aard format would be useful.
gulyasan

Return to Dictionaries