New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

where I can find Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

All about dictionaries

Postby mmmmmm » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

for GDICT

(biggest oxford dictionary)
mmmmmm

Re: where I can find Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

Postby Gloggy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 am

Guys, I don't think these kinds of questions are appropriate here. This is an official forum for Goldendict, and any questions or links on how/where to find paid/copyrighted dictionaries for free would just cast a shadow on the whole project, and we don't want that, do we?
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby ikm » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 am

I agree. Gloggy, feel free to remove any links if you feel like it, I can't always be around. While I am not against people sharing links, this forum should not be used to endorse piracy. You can share sites, hints etc, but please be moderate and keep good sense. Despite a popular belief, publishers are good people who create all the content you use. Don't make them regret it.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby farhad.gulemov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 am

ikm wrote: this forum should not be used to endorse piracy

I don't think anybody is suggesting that the participants of this forum attack ships on the high seas. So why use a word which suggests that?

“Piracy”

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to- ... tml#Piracy
farhad.gulemov

Postby Gloggy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 am

farhad.gulemov wrote:I don't think anybody is suggesting that the participants of this forum attack ships on the high seas. So why use a word which suggests that?

Heh, yeah, the term is rather unfortunate and intentionally negative. On the other hand, it is just much faster to type piracy rather than unauthorized copying 8-)

But I think the main point of the message is more or less clear: Please do not share unauthorized content here, on the official GoldenDict forum.
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby farhad.gulemov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Gloggy wrote: Please do not share unauthorized content here, on the official GoldenDict forum.

Fair enough :D
farhad.gulemov

Postby bonacieux » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Mind you, the OP didn't explicitly say they wanted the OED for free, did they? I for one would be perfectly happy to pay for a format that would work with GoldenDict. Anyone know how this can be achieved?
bonacieux

Postby lynn2tun » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:58 pm

mmmmmm wrote:where I can find Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
for GDICT

(biggest oxford dictionary)

if u can gimme ur mail' i'll send IT 2 u

lynn
lynn2tun

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Folks, please refrain from discussing copyrighted content on the official GoldenDict forum. This is just a friendly reminder. :)
Tvangeste

Postby bonacieux » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 pm

My question was actually about where I could legally buy the OED for use in GoldenDict. Though thanks for your offer, lynn2tun. Is that not a valid question, Tvangeste?

Though I suspect the answer is "nowhere". :roll:
bonacieux

Next

Return to Dictionaries