New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

[resolved](pls help)unsought entries also showed

General discussion

[resolved](pls help)unsought entries also showed

Postby jecuad » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 am

Hi to everyone:

Firstly many thanks to those who has developed and contributed to this magnificent program!

I have been with a strange problem for quite a long time:

In one group consisting of dictionaries of formats of DSL, BGL, STARDICT, when I looked up a word, many others related words' definitiones also will be shown. For example, when I look up the word "mammal", one of my dictionaries, Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary will give results like:

From Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary
mam·mal

Pronunciation: 'ma-məl
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin Mammalia, from Late Latin, neuter plural of mammalis of the breast, from Latin mamma breast
Date: 1826

: any of a class (Mammalia) of warm-blooded higher vertebrates (as placentals, marsupials, or monotremes) that nourish their young with milk secreted by mammary glands, have the skin usually more or less covered with hair, and include humans
–mam·ma·li·an \mə-'mā-lē-ən, ma-\ adjective or noun
1mar·su·pi·al

Pronunciation: mär-'sü-pē-əl
Function: adjective
Date: 1819

1 : of, relating to, or being a marsupial
2 : of, relating to, or forming a marsupium
2marsupial

Etymology: New Latin Marsupialia, from marsupium
Date: circa 1835

: any of an order (Marsupialia) of mammals comprising kangaroos, wombats, bandicoots, opossums, and related animals that do not develop a true placenta and that usually have a pouch on the abdomen of the female which covers the teats and serves to carry the young
pri·mate

Pronunciation: 'prī-ˌmāt or esp for 1 -mət
Etymology: Middle English primat, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin primat-, primas archbishop, from Latin, leader, from primus
Date: 13th century

1 often capitalized : a bishop who has precedence in a province, a group of provinces, or a nation
2 archaic : one first in authority or rank : LEADER
3 [New Latin Primates, from Latin, plural of primat-, primas] : any of an order (Primates) of mammals that are characterized especially by advanced development of binocular vision, specialization of the appendages for grasping, and enlargement of the cerebral hemispheres and that include humans, apes, monkeys, and related forms (as lemurs and tarsiers)
–pri·mate·ship \-ˌship\ noun
–pri·ma·tial \prī-'mā-shəl\ adjective
rodent ulcer

Etymology: Latin rodent-, rodens gnawing
Date: 1853

: a chronic persisting ulcer of the exposed skin and especially of the face that is destructive locally, spreads slowly, and is usually a carcinoma derived from basal cells
ro·dent

Pronunciation: 'rō-dənt
Etymology: ultimately from Latin rodent-, rodens, present participle of rodere to gnaw; akin to Latin radere to scrape, scratch, Sanskrit radati he gnaws
Date: 1835

1 : any of an order (Rodentia) of relatively small gnawing mammals (as a mouse, squirrel, or beaver) that have in both jaws a single pair of incisors with a chisel-shaped edge
2 : a small mammal (as a rabbit or a shrew) other than a true rodent
–rodent adjective

Above those underlined boldfaced words(mam·mal, 1mar·su·pi·al, 2marsupial, pri·mate, rodent ulcer, ro·dent) are headwords unsought that are shown when input and search mammal, while I just want to see defintion of mammel!

Anyone has idea how does this happen and how to get rid of so many unsought entries?

Thank you!
Last edited by jecuad on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jecuad

Re: [pls help]unsought entries also showed

Postby chulai » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

is your "Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary" a dsl, stardict or babylon dictionary? I'm not experiencing the issue with a babylon dictionary. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
merriam-bester GD.png
merriam-bester GD.png (36.61 KiB) Viewed 11203 times
chulai

Postby jecuad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

chulai wrote:is your "Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary" a dsl, stardict or babylon dictionary? I'm not experiencing the issue with a babylon dictionary. See attached screenshot.

Thanks chulai for you attention!

My "Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary" is of BGl, in it's group there are others dictionaries of Stardict and DSl formats. It seems when I look up the word "mammal", all the dictionaries try to show me related words of "mammal" as long as they have them as entry:

The following DSL dictionary is trying to show more than I have inquired:
Clipboard03.gif
dsl
Clipboard03.gif (29.72 KiB) Viewed 11193 times

And this is of Stardict, which also is overkind in showing me unsoght entries.

Clipboard02.jpg
stardict
Clipboard02.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

So what's wrong with them!

Thanks!
jecuad

Postby chulai » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 am

So babylon dictionary is ok. The others dictionaries must have all those term as related to mammal. In fact rodents, marsupials and primates are related in that they are all mammals.
chulai

Postby ikm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 am

jecuad wrote:In one group consisting of dictionaries of formats of DSL, BGL, STARDICT, when I looked up a word, many others related words' definitiones also will be shown. For example, when I look up the word "mammal", one of my dictionaries, Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary will give results like:

One of the dictionaries you use is stating that all those other words are basically all alternate forms of 'mammal', which spoils the result in this way. Find which dictionary is causing this and just get rid of it.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

cause identified

Postby jecuad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:27 pm

ikm wrote:
jecuad wrote:In one group consisting of dictionaries of formats of DSL, BGL, STARDICT, when I looked up a word, many others related words' definitiones also will be shown. For example, when I look up the word "mammal", one of my dictionaries, Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary will give results like:

One of the dictionaries you use is stating that all those other words are basically all alternate forms of 'mammal', which spoils the result in this way. Find which dictionary is causing this and just get rid of it.

Thanks to all who have cared my problem. Following advice of ikm, I have identified the dictionary that mess the search result is the one named "Babylon Picture Dictionary.bgl", which by stating
the other words are basically all alternate forms of 'mammal'
causes that those related words' entries also be shown when looking up "mammal". By removing from the dictionaries group, I get clean results.
So problem resolved!
Thanks to all!
jecuad

Return to General