New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Is there a quick way to select dictionaries

General discussion

Is there a quick way to select dictionaries

Postby farhad.gulemov » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi,

I am a new user of GoldenDict (version 0.9.0+git under Ubuntu GNU/Linux). Since I speak 6 languages, I went on a massive "dictionary hunt" on the Internet and I have installed 175 dictionaries as a result. However, for my job as a over the phone translator, I only need two languages. I see can I activate and inactivate dictionaries, but that would be tedious to do twice a day. Is there a quick way to tell GoldenDict to only use some dictionaries but not others? Creating groups might be the way, but I do not understand how to make and use groups. Could you please give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Farhad
farhad.gulemov

Re: Is there a quick way to select dictionaries

Postby dg333 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 am

Making advantage of groups is pretty simple. In the dictionary management dialog (F3), navigate to the group tab, click on Add group and, well, add it. From the left-hand pane, drag and drop dictionaries from the general list to the group list. Well, that’s it. After you create at least one group, the main window will show a group selector above the word list.
dg333

Postby farhad.gulemov » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Thank you very much for your reply, it fully solved my problem - now I can switch to my working languages only on one rapid click :D

GoldenDict is one fantastic product and it really makes my work immensely more easy and enjoyable.

Thanks a lot!
farhad.gulemov

Postby ikm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:35 am

You can also assign keyboard shortcuts to groups for even faster switching. I almost never use mouse to switch between groups nowadays -- it's just so much faster with the keyboard :)
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby dg333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:50 am

I think, this feature is not documented, is it? Does anyone take care of the user manual?
dg333

Postby farhad.gulemov » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:00 pm

@ikm: thanks so much for this absolutely fantastic application!!!
@dg333: yep, a user's manual or even a short video for new users would be great
farhad.gulemov

Return to General