New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

grammar recognition

General discussion

grammar recognition

Postby kanbun » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 am

Hello,

first of all let me say that I find the GoldenDict amazing!
Anyhow, as with most dictionary software it doesn't pick up well grammatical expressions given their complexity and given the fact that often they are not isolated, but connected to other parts of the text.
I think it would be really cool if GoldenDict had the ability to "spot" probable grammatical patterns by searching also a bit ahead of or before the term selected. Of course, specific grammatic pattern dictionaries would be needed, but I am sure many (me included) would be more than happy to contribute.
I am specifically thinking about East Asian languages such as Japanese and Chinese, but of course, this is valid for almost any language.
So lets say, if I select in a Japanese text a ば ba, GoldenDict should also looks ahead to check if there is a ほど hodo (the more...the more), or with a Chinese text if it finds a 在 zài it should look for 上 shàng (above...) or similar things.

Cheers
kanbun

Re: grammar recognition

Postby ikm » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:30 pm

You can certainly build a hunspell dictionary with all the appropriate stems and use it with goldendict, if you do have a source for those patterns.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Re: grammar recognition

Postby kanbun » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I am not really an expert, so I was wondering if you could suggest some links on how to properly make a hunspell dictionary.
I am particularly interested in doing Japanese, Korean and Chinese grammar dictionary to English/Italian.
That is, dictionaries that chek back and forth in order to see if there are grammatical expressions consisting of more than one word, with other terms in between.
Cheers
kanbun

Return to General