New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Greek transliteration table and updated Greek translation

General discussion

Greek transliteration table and updated Greek translation

Postby jennie » Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 pm

I made a table for Greek transliteration. Since I don't really know any programming, I tested it by replacing German transliteration with Greek. Which is why I cannot offer a patch, but here is the main file: greektranslit.cc. I would be really grateful if you could integrate it in Goldendict. This covers both Ancient and Modern Greek.
Also, here is the updated Greek translation.
jennie

Re: Greek transliteration table and updated Greek translation

Postby ikm » Tue May 25, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks, Jennie.

As I'm skimming though -- why both lowercase and uppercase letters map to lowercase greek?
Code: Select all
    ins("a",      "α");

<..skip..>

ins("A",      "α");
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby jennie » Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 am

Ok, here's the deal:
What is considered as a standard for transliterating Ancient Greek is the so-called beta code. It uses an asterisk (*) in front of a character to indicate a capital letter. So, both W and w map to ω, while *W and *w map to Ω. In addition, if the character is supposed to be a capital, the order of the accent symbols also changes. while ὠ is W), Ὠ is *)W. :? I also noticed that if you search for *dias, goldendict ignores the asterisk in the beginning, and brings up results for dias. Anyway, it is quite confusing and I don't know if you have any better suggestions, but I thought that since capitalization will be ignored most of the time anyway, I might just as well map everything to lower case.

I did think about creating two different files, one for ancient and one for modern greek, where the file for modern greek would include proper capitalization. But then I think that would confuse many users. And goldendict gives case insensitive results anyway.

I have to admit that in my testing I would often get "No results found" when I searched for words with a lot of accent symbols, but the correct word would usually appear as the first suggestion offered. Which I guess is pretty good when one has to use four letter combinations to get one vowel.
jennie

Postby ikm » Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 am

Ok, I'm sure you know better. I've added this implementation to Git.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby jennie » Sat May 29, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks a lot! And I just saw the portable version, it's a truly great feature. Pity the Greek transliteration didn't make it in the new windows build, though.

(I do hope I made the right decision about the capitalization, I'm still trying to figure that out)
jennie

Postby ikm » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 am

Well, you can always revise the version if you figure something out.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Gloggy » Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 am

jennie wrote:Pity the Greek transliteration didn't make it in the new windows build, though.

Is the Greek transliteration already in the main repository? I made the Windows build from the very latest sources, so everything that was in Git repo, should be in the windows build. If something is missing, let me know.
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby ikm » Sat May 29, 2010 10:22 am

Yes, right now it is. But it was committed AFTER the portable version change.

Btw, it may make sense to put more morphologies in the build, from here. The 0.9.0 version only had 3 of them -- but their number has changed since then.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Gloggy » Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 am

Jennie, Konstantin, I've built a new version of GoldenDict, with Greek transliteration changes: http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/444815/
This archive contains only goldendict.exe, just extract and overwrite the existing one.
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby jennie » Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks a lot!!
jennie

Next

Return to General