New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

some suggestions and loads of praise

General discussion

some suggestions and loads of praise

Postby mikhails » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 am

Bravo, Konstantine! Well done!

I love good dictionaries, and I am hopping between linux and windows all the time, so this is a dream come true for me.

May I suggest something:

1. Scan popup
Scan bubble would pop up faster if fewer dictionaries are used than during normal look-up. This is especially true if web dictionaries are included. One normally does not the full set of dictionaries in the pop-up bubble. Two possible ways to implement this:
  • use only the topmost dictionary for scan pop-ups; this would not clutter the user settings interface at all
  • add a check-box "use for pop-ups" for every dictionary
  • foresee a special "pop-up" group to populate it with dictionaries to be used for pop-ups
2. Tutor
Having done better than Lingvo in general, you surely can do better with the tutor as well. It would be nice to keep track of look-ups so that user is notified when he looks up words repeatedly. That same user look-up database could be used for training purposes by popping up the words in accordance with weighted probability, using the unsuccessful answers as weights. Something like that. If you are interested at all, we all can discuss the details in this forum.

I have not yet pulled the git repository, but I might see in the future if I can contribute. I am afraid that my c++ skills (which were never good) are rusty after years of python and straight c development, but I shall give it a try all the same.

Once again, many thanks for the wonderful software (I know good stuff when I see one).

Cheers,

Misha
mikhails

Re: some suggestions and loads of praise

Postby zhangjinsong » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 am

You could create a group named "pop-up", then add some directories to the group, only use the group for scan pop-up. Actually, you can create any number of groups and make different groups for different purposes. Furthermore, you can add one dictionary to several groups, like tags.

I think the current solution of GD is reasonable and flexible enough.
zhangjinsong

Postby ikm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 am

mikhails wrote:1. Scan popup

As zhangjinsong correctly noted, you can create any number of groups, not just a second one. Futhermore, group choices for popup and for the main screen are remembered separately, which allows using them in their own different ways.
mikhails wrote:2. Tutor

I've thought about that, but that would require some effort which I don't have enough time for at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback!
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby masterman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I have another idea too:
    It's very good idea to change the "Close To Tray" shortcut to "Esc", or at least add this shortcut in addition to "Ctrl+F4".
I have another opinion about this website:
    It's very good idea to make a brainstorm section for this website, like the same one for Ubuntu website.

TNX to all GD developers and programmers;
Sina Momken
masterman

Postby shula » Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 pm

I agree about ESC.

ESC is the default key for closing all dialog boxes (in windows, but not only)

BTW:
Is there a way to change keys without the need to recompile?
shula

Postby dredd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 pm

I join the people here thanking the developers! Thanks for your efforts :)

I suggest to add
- a simple "always on top" mainly regarding the pop- up dictionary a checkbox in the popup dictionary window will do?
- add an editbox in the popup dictionary to search for entries without the suggestion function which is cpu consuming with several dictionaries.
- making the popup window resizable so that one can leave the window open on one's corner and continue to work :).

Cheers
dredd

Postby ikm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:45 pm

dredd wrote:- making the popup window resizable so that one can leave the window open on one's corner and continue to work :).

You can pin down the popup. Then you can resize it, leave open etc.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby dredd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 pm

good news i didn't notice the pin down!
dredd

Postby Golden234 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 pm

I want to join in in the 'thank you'

And a couple of suggestions ;-)

For windows make the installer give an option to add a desk top icon - it didn't give me that choice and I had to manually add it.

Force a restart - or at least give the option - on uninstall.

For some reason, GD seemed to appear in the task bar for a few seconds and then disappeared; so I tried a reinstall without a reboot, but had more troubles. Doing a reboot before trying to reinstall seemed to work as expected.
Also, even though I asked for a complete 'clean' on uninstall, it left the files in user\appdata\roaming, I think.
Golden234

Return to General