New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

font sizes and spacing in Search Pane

General discussion

font sizes and spacing in Search Pane

Postby prozaik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 am

I have one request/suggestion. The default font size of the search field in the Search Pane is too small for my eyes. So I increase the size of words via Alt++ a few times. The problem is that suggested words below increase in size much more and get too big and too widely spaced, almost double-spaced. This wastes vertical space. This also means that suggested words don't align horizontally with the word in the search field, which is annoying. So my request is, if possible, please make the size of suggested words in the Search Pane the same as in the search field regardless of magnification.

I am using the most recent GoldenDict 1.5.0-RC-98-g46bbe67 in portable mode on a Windows 8 notebook.

Also, the first sentence on http://goldendict.mobi/ should read "with rich formatting", not "reach".
prozaik

Re: font sizes and spacing in Search Pane

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 am

prozaik wrote:The problem is that suggested words below increase in size much more and get too big and too widely spaced, almost double-spaced

For me the size of the word and the size of suggestions are about the same. Can you post a screenshot to make sure that we're talking about the same thing?
Tvangeste

Postby prozaik » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 am

I made three screenshots of the Search Pane area (left to right):
1. After pressing Alt+0, that is no zoom for words.
2. After pressing Alt++ 3 times.
3. After pressing Alt++ one more time.

2013.07.31_GD_search_pane.png
2013.07.31_GD_search_pane.png (23.75 KiB) Viewed 32586 times

The problem is that at the default zoom level (Alt+0) suggested words are bigger by about three notches then the word in the entry box.
In case this matters, the screen is 1366x768, 15.6", dpi=100%.

I've tried different themes, restarting with no portable\config file. This sometimes gives strange results. Once I got words in the entry box slightly bigger than in the suggestions list. But after pressing Alt+- and Alt++ a few times, or restarting GoldenDict the sizes always revert to what you see in the screenshots.
prozaik

Postby prozaik » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am

It turns out there is an easy solution. I created qt-style.css with
Code: Select all
MainWindow #searchPane #translateLine {font-size: 17px; font-family: "Verdana"; padding-left: 2px;}
MainWindow #searchPane #wordList {font-size: 17px; font-family: "Verdana";}

and now the search word and suggested words are identical in size and perfectly aligned.
All I had to do was to read the FAQ at http://goldendict.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
I knew about article-style.css but not about qt-style.css. GoldenDict is a remarkable program.
prozaik

Postby chulai » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm

prozaik wrote:It turns out there is an easy solution. I created qt-style.css with
Code: Select all
MainWindow #searchPane #translateLine {font-size: 17px; font-family: "Verdana"; padding-left: 2px;}
MainWindow #searchPane #wordList {font-size: 17px; font-family: "Verdana";}

and now the search word and suggested words are identical in size and perfectly aligned.
All I had to do was to read the FAQ at http://goldendict.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
I knew about article-style.css but not about qt-style.css. GoldenDict is a remarkable program.

That wiki is quite old and hasn't been updated in a long time. The new documentation is at https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/wiki/_pages However, we have to migrate the old docs to the new wiki. Besides that, there are a lot of good information about styling GoldenDict in this forum. Just search for qt-style.css or article-style.css in this forum with Google.
chulai

Return to General