New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Linux Packages (deb, rpm) for Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE

General discussion

Linux Packages (deb, rpm) for Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Folks,

I've set up a project on openSUSE build service to build the latest GoldenDict code on various Linux distros (more than 20 different ones!).

From time to time I will be rebuilding the packages with the up-to-date GoldenDict sources. This will be a good test for developers (to see that nothing is broken on all different GCC/Qt versions). And it could be beneficial for the end users who could easily upgrade to the latest and greatest with minimal hassle.

Here's a page: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... goldendict

You can see the build status on the right:

And, you could easily download the packages here, by clicking on "Download Package" link:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.h ... goldendict

Select your Linux distro and the appropriate version and follow instructions (basically, you'd need to add a new repository and a key, just copy-paste from instructions).

Then upgrade the goldendict as usual. Let me know if you tried this process and installed/updated the latest GoldenDict and report any bugs/issues you've encountered.
Tvangeste

Re: Linux Packages (deb, rpm) for Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openS

Postby dg333 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 am

You’re absolutely great!

How often will you update the builds?
dg333

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 am

dg333 wrote:How often will you update the builds?

For me it is as simple as invoking a single command, so I can upgrade them easily and as often as needed. I'll try not to upgrade when there are known serious breakages so that the packages should be pretty safe to use.
Tvangeste

Postby vjjustin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Fantastic!, Thank you. You are the best.
vjjustin

Postby chulai » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Tvangeste. Long time no see!

Would this mean I don't need to update the Linux Portable version anymore? I used to cover old Linux distributions as well as Arch Linux and Mint. However, I have had little to no time in the last months to help with GD development and I'd rather focus in building Mac OS X Early Builds or contribute with the Spanish translation than spend time dealing with all Linux distributions. What do you think?
chulai

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:52 pm

chulai wrote:Hi Tvangeste. Long time no see!

Nice to see ya around! :)

chulai wrote:Would this mean I don't need to update the Linux Portable version anymore?

I'd say that portable Linux Build could be still useful for some folks (I know a couple of them, they use very old or quite custom builds, sometimes without any access to Internet at all). For such folks having a single portable version which they could download and put into a flash drive is useful.

But it seems that we are really trying to cover *very* rare corner cases. I'd say that creating the portable build from time to time is still useful, but not as much important as it was before. So when you have time and desire to build portable version, feel free to do so! :)

chulai wrote:I used to cover old Linux distributions as well as Arch Linux and Mint.

Mint, being Ubuntu-based, is also covered by these builds. As for Arch Linux, thanks for reminder, I just added it to the build farm as well. Now we cover almost everything that has a 'Linux' in its name! :)
Tvangeste

Postby dg333 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 pm

You don’t cover openSUSE 11.3 (yeah, I know, its support is discontinued but it’s still in use). And you don’t cover Mandriva/Mageia. And no ebuilds for Gentoo fans. Just for the sake of objectivity :)
dg333

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 pm

dg333 wrote:You don’t cover openSUSE 11.3

OpenSUSE Build System doesn't support such an ancient OS (3 years old).

dg333 wrote:And you don’t cover Mandriva/Mageia. And no ebuilds for Gentoo fans. Just for the sake of objectivity :)

Indeed. :) But according to distrowatch.com we cover at least 7 out of top ten Linux distros. It good enough for now, I guess. Those who are able to install and administer less popular distros are most probably capable enough to compile GoldenDict from source! :)
Tvangeste

Postby e_dub_kendo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm

I installed on Ubuntu 12.04 but the instructions given at http://software.opensuse.org/download.h ... goldendict didn't work for me. Specifically, the instruction:

Code: Select all
$ echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:Tvangeste/xUbuntu_13.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/goldendict.list

Even with sudo, I kept getting:

bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/goldendict.list: Permission denied

I finally got it working by doing:

$ sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/goldendict.list

to create the file, then opening that in my text editor via:

$ gksudo subl /etc/apt/sources.list.d/goldendict.list

and manually adding:

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:Tvangeste/xUbuntu_13.04/ /

Then following the instructions to add the key before going back to update and install. This is probably outside of your control to address, but just wanted to point it out in case others ran into the issue. Thanks a lot for putting the package together, this makes using GD on ubuntu even nicer.
e_dub_kendo

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 am

e_dub_kendo wrote:Even with sudo, I kept getting:

bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/goldendict.list: Permission denied

Indeed, the instructions don't work with sudo. I have to do the following first, to start the shell under root:

sudo bash

And then it all works just fine. I'll file a bug against the service, maybe they'll fix it somehow.
Tvangeste

Next

Return to General