New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Display not only the target entry!

General discussion

Display not only the target entry!

Postby yuchen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 pm

For example, when I look up the word "approve", it also shows the definition of "sanction" !
At the same time, it will show the meaning of approve while looking up sanction.
This happens to all dictionaries. What's wrong?
yuchen

Re: Display not only the target entry!

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Most probably you're have some bad dictionary that pollutes the search results with unrelated synonyms/wordforms.

Some dictionary formats allow to specify wordforms/synonyms and GoldenDict uses this info, for example, when you type "gone", and have morphological dictionary or special dictionary with synonyms present in the group, we figure out that there is also "go" and show the translations for both, "gone" and "go", in *all* dictionaries in the group.

In your case you have a broken dictionary that says that "sanction" is a wordform or synonym of "approve".

Try to disable dictionaries one by one (by clicking on the dictionary button in the dictionary bar) in order to figure out which is the bad dictionary. Most probably, such dictionary is going to be in Stardict or Babylon format.
Tvangeste

Postby yuchen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I've found the bad apple——it 's truly a BGL format.
This means GoldenDict find the wordforms/synonyms info in both morphological dictionary and special dictionary with synonyms present in the group ?
yuchen

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm

yuchen wrote:Thanks for your suggestion. I've found the bad apple——it 's truly a BGL format.

Good!
yuchen wrote:This means GoldenDict find the wordforms/synonyms info in both morphological dictionary and special dictionary with synonyms present in the group ?

Yep. If such wordforms/synonyms information is included in the dictionary we trust it and assume it is correct and use it. As far as I know, BGL and Stardict formats allow for this info to be present, but not every dictionary in these formats has this info.
Tvangeste

Postby Groyuoda » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:56 am

Many, many thanks for GoldenDict; it’s a great Project and is highly appreciated it!
Could we do something to fix the “Display not only the target entry!”?
To look up for a word receiving also a few different ones (many times before the right one) is a big bug. In my opinion, it undermines the whole dictionary or program.
Could we do something to force it to present only the correct entry? Or could we add that as an option?
Groyuoda

Return to General