New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Open / Save Dialogs

General discussion

Open / Save Dialogs

Postby Cris » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

GoldenDict uses for File > Save Article (F2) the QT Open / Save Dialog and for
the History > Export/Import the standard Operating System Open/Save dialog.

In my opinion it would be better and more consistent to always use the standard operating system
open/save dialogs and you always automatically have the correct translation (QT Dialogs need
the qt_*.qm files and they are not always translated very well (for example the Dutch translations
for qt_nl.qm are not very well done)).

Wouldn't it be an idea to use the standard operating system open/save dialog for the Save Article option?
Cris

Re: Open / Save Dialogs

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 am

Good idea, implemented! And while at it, I also added the code to store the save location in a config file so that GoldenDict would remember next time where a user saved the article.
Tvangeste

Postby chulai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Would you consider a good or bad idea to include qt_*.qm files in GoldenDict source control so we can add the missing translations? I guess qt_*.qm files get better and better with every new release of Qt framework. Alternatively, I could contribute my translation of Spanish in the Qt project. Thoughts?
chulai

Postby Cris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 pm

chulai wrote:good or bad idea to include qt_*.qm files in GoldenDict source control so we can add the missing translations?

Does GoldenDict use a lot of translation strings from the qt_*.qm files? When GoldenDict only uses a limited amount of translation strings from those files, it might even be possible to add the necessary translation strings to the GoldenDict localization files (I mean the nl_NL.qm, de_DE.qm etc..)? Than you probably don't need the qt_*.qm files anymore. Personally I think it would definitely be a good idea to only have one single translation file for each language (nl_NL.qm, de_DE.qm etc..).
Cris

Postby chulai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Cris wrote:
chulai wrote:good or bad idea to include qt_*.qm files in GoldenDict source control so we can add the missing translations?

Does GoldenDict use a lot of translation strings from the qt_*.qm files? When GoldenDict only uses a limited amount of translation strings from those files, it might even be possible to add the necessary translation strings to the GoldenDict localization files (I mean the nl_NL.qm, de_DE.qm etc..)? Than you probably don't need the qt_*.qm files anymore. Personally I think it would definitely be a good idea to only have one single translation file for each language (nl_NL.qm, de_DE.qm etc..).

Don't know how much strings GD uses from the qt files but in Spanish I don't get the translation just for 3 of them: "Close Tab", "Select All Ctrl + A" and "Copy Ctrl + C". Other languages should be at different levels of translation. Do you think would be possible to translate those 3 string files in the Spanish language file for GD without affecting other language files (because they might have those strings already translated in the qt_*.qm file)? And I wonder if the lupdate tool could remove those 3 translation every time we run the command. And if so, if we should add the strings in GD code (if possible). I guess I should try...
chulai

Postby orecchionebruno » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 am

I'm agree to condense translation in only one file.

The Italian version untill now has not a QT language file, so I decided to translate a small part of this file so now GoldenDict it's fully translated.

Ciaoo
Daniele
orecchionebruno

Postby chulai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Daniele, please read my reply here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2195&p=10566#p10566
chulai

Postby chulai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 pm

orecchionebruno wrote:I'm agree to condense translation in only one file.

The Italian version untill now has not a QT language file, so I decided to translate a small part of this file so now GoldenDict it's fully translated.

Ciaoo
Daniele

Also, while it's perfectly ok to translate only the portion it's used by GoldenDict, the version you sent us just contain just that and nothing else. It would be better to include the whole original qt_it.ts file with your translation for the text GoldenDict uses.

Thanks,
Chulai
chulai

Postby orecchionebruno » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Chulai,

I should translate it for to share it; I don't know why but it doesn't exist the qt_it.ts

Any way if open the original file (I've used French file), it's 6293 lines and the translated file is 1958 lines.
So it takes some days for to be translated... But consider that I was in holiday so I've translated a lot of strings of QT file but now I'll restart working so I don't have so much free time...

sorry.. if can I'll do it

Ciaoo
Daniele

PS: don't worry for GoldenDict translation I'll always find free time.. and thank Chulai and thanks to any developers, you always make a good work
orecchionebruno

Postby chulai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 am

Hi, no need to translate the whole file. I was just pointing out that it would be better to include the whole file even if it's mostly untranslated. But you mentioned that there was no qt_it.qs available so now I understand.

By the way, I found here ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/l10n/index.html all available translations for Qt. It explains which branch is stable (and recommended for translation) and which one is in active development. Also there are templates available to be used as a base to translate new languages (such as Italian).

And finally, even though Qt project doesn't have any Italian translation file the KDE project has translated most of the Qt translation files, including Italian: http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/i ... iew=markup
The format is Gettext .po but I'm sure it can be either translated to Qt ts files or used as a base to complete the *.ts file.

Regards

orecchionebruno wrote:Hi Chulai,

I should translate it for to share it; I don't know why but it doesn't exist the qt_it.ts

Any way if open the original file (I've used French file), it's 6293 lines and the translated file is 1958 lines.
So it takes some days for to be translated... But consider that I was in holiday so I've translated a lot of strings of QT file but now I'll restart working so I don't have so much free time...

sorry.. if can I'll do it

Ciaoo
Daniele

PS: don't worry for GoldenDict translation I'll always find free time.. and thank Chulai and thanks to any developers, you always make a good work
chulai

Next

Return to General