New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Can't play sounds AT ALL

General discussion

Can't play sounds AT ALL

Postby xff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello everyone,

Here's the situation:
I activated Frovo, put in the API and set the option in GoldenDict to use DirectShow. No luck, no sound.

Then I downloaded the actual human sounds, zipped them in a *.zips file and put them in the contents folder. Still no luck.

The pronounce icon actually activates, but when you click on it nothing happens.

I think it maybe a problem with DirectShow.
I tried getting vlc to work as a external program, but I don't know how to get it to work. I have this code:
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"  -I vlc://quit

but it does nothing. I believe we have to somehow instruct GodenDict to provide VLC with the address of the soundfile that needs to be played, but I don't know how to.

Could you guys help me with fixing DirectShow, or alternatively getting VLC to work?
Thank you very much in advance,
Fred
xff

Re: Can't play sounds AT ALL

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 pm

I'd recommend to get bass.dll and put it into your GoldenDict dictonary and enable the appropriate Playback option in the Audio settings ("Play via Bass library"). That's the recommended way that plays all the formats with best results, on Windows.

If you don't see the Bass library option, consider upgrading GoldenDict to the latest Eearly Access build: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... or-Windows

The bass.dll can be downloaded from: http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?bass24
Tvangeste

Postby xff » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!

I had tried bass library with no success, but the early access build fixed the problem, and it started to play the sounds.

One point to mention: when you download the bass library, you have to use the bass.dll file located in the "mp3-free" folder, not the one in the root of the zipped file.

Thanks again!
xff

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm

xff wrote:The pronounce icon actually activates, but when you click on it nothing happens.

There was a bug in GoldenDict on Windows, see Issue #239: Couldn't play sounds via some external programs on Windows.

It is fixed now and will appear in the next dev build and Eearly Access build.
Tvangeste

Return to General