New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Developer Builds (for testing)

General discussion

Re: Developer Builds (for testing)

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Alec, thanks for your excellent efforts to figure out the root cause of the problem.

Could you please try this version? Just extract it on top of your GoldenDict.exe and run.

GoldenDict-1.5.0-RC-158-gcad836c.7z - 1.09 MB

Depending on the results, there might be 4-5 such iterations with different GoldenDict builds needed, but let's start with this one. Thanks!
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 pm

@Alec, have you had a chance to run the #158 build (from the link I posted above) and test whether it exhibits the same problem? This is rather serious issue and we'd better figure it out *before* the final 1.5 release. And since the problem is (reliably) reproducible only by you we need your feedback.

@Abs62, I tried your EA build, and when I type words really fast, and a lot of them, one after another, from time to time I do see that some dictionaries show garbage instead of the actual text. And once the garbage is there, it is always there, for different words. I was able to crash GD twice, but that happens rarely for me.

I wasn't able to reproduce similar problem with my build. So my hypothesis is that there might something wrong with your setup... Did you change the compiler recently by any chance? I use GCC/MinGW 4.6.3.

Maybe there is some incompatibility with the GCC you are using?
Tvangeste

Postby Abs62 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Did you change the compiler recently by any chance? I use GCC/MinGW 4.6.3.

No. I use 4.4.0 from latest Qt SDK (April 2012) with modified libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.
Tvangeste wrote:Maybe there is some incompatibility with the GCC you are using?

With Qt libraries for GCC 4.4?
I also can't reproduce this issue with my build. Neither under WinXP nor under Win7-64.

PS. What interface do you use? I use old variant with search panel without additional styles.
Abs62

Postby beavis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:14 am

Билд 158 и предыдущий постоянно зависает. Спустя некоторое время бездействия (обычно после выхода из спящего режима на следующий день, но не уверен что это не совпадение) при очередном переключении на программу белое окно, приходится снимать диспетчером задач. До этого несколько месяцев сидел на билде от начала лета, ни единого сбоя не было.
beavis

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am

Abs62 wrote:
Tvangeste wrote:Did you change the compiler recently by any chance? I use GCC/MinGW 4.6.3.

No. I use 4.4.0 from latest Qt SDK (April 2012) with modified libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.

Too bad, that was my only hope. I have no more ideas.

Abs62 wrote:PS. What interface do you use? I use old variant with search panel without additional styles.

I tried both, and can from time to time reproduce some kind of problem with the EA build, haven't reproduced with my builds though.

Just now, I opened the EA build and entered about 50 words very quickly, just random stuff typing on the keyboard, quickly pressing Enter every second or so. At the end I got:

GoldenDict has crashed with an unexpected exception
Exception: std::length_error

AND the copy shortcut doesn't work anymore (Ctrl+C) in the entire system!

So it looks like we have some kind of race condition somewhere... Interestingly I just can't reproduce it with my builds no matter how hard I try... (only replacing goldendict.exe on top of the official EA build).
Annoying!
Tvangeste

Postby Alec » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:04 am

This is very frustrating: I did several hours of testing on Friday and posted a detailed report ... which doesn't seem to have arrived on the site.

Even worse, because I was typing directly into the Post A Reply panel, and not using ordinary email, I have no back-up of that report.

The short summary is that Build 158 is better, but still not right. The program still hangs, and sometimes hangs the whole computer.

I'll repeat the testing. In order to avoid another big loss of data, I'll post a series of short messages.

Alec.
Alec

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 am

Alec wrote:This is very frustrating: I did several hours of testing on Friday and posted a detailed report ... which doesn't seem to have arrived on the site.

Aaaaargh! Sorry to hear that. I'd suggest to write your findings into a local text file and than copy-paste into reply form.

Also, another thing for you to try is to select different dictionaries and see if that makes any difference in behavior. You can click on dictionary buttons in the dictionary bar (typically on top of the window) to select and deselect specific dictionaries. Maybe that's the reason why you see these problems and we don't, maybe there is a broken dictionary or bug in particular dictionary format support in GoldenDict.
Tvangeste

Postby Alec » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I have GD set to display results in the main window.

As long as the program finds a translation, everything works correctly: e.g. I type or hover over "house" and GD shows the result "дом", and vice versa.

However, if the program doesn't find a match, it displays alternatives. For example, if I mistype the word as "housse", it correctly displays "Close words: house, housed" etc., with the alternatives shown in blue.

If I click on one of those blue words, I might or might not get a translation to that word. Either the program crashes immediately, or it allows me to translate that word and a few more words (usually only two or three, and never more than ten) before crashing.

The error message is usually:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." etc.

(On one occasion, no fewer than four windows giving the C++ error-message appeared. Interestingly, they were all different shapes and sizes, which suggests to me that they might come from different failing procedures.)

When I click on the OK button of that message, I see a different dialogue box with the error message that GoldenDict has stopped working, and inviting me to "Click here to close the program".

When I do that, it doesn't close the program; it hangs the PC completely, and only Control-Alt-Del will get out of it.

Testing continues.
Alec

Postby Abs62 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Just now, I opened the EA build and entered about 50 words very quickly, just random stuff typing on the keyboard, quickly pressing Enter every second or so. At the end I got:

GoldenDict has crashed with an unexpected exception
Exception: std::length_error

@Tvangeste, test two variants, please.
goldendict-1.5.0-RC-168-g0422cc5(EXE only).7z - 1.08 MB - latest exe compiled by gcc 4.4.0, for using with last EA build.
GoldenDict-1.5.0-RC-168-g0422cc5-full-gcc_4.8.1.7z - 16.57 MB - same source compiled by gcc 4.8.1, full complect with all libraries.
Abs62

Postby Alec » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Further tests on Build 158.

The program has hung several times in the last couple of hours of testing. On one of those occasions, I could regain control and close the program by using Windows Task Manager; all the others required a full reboot.

1)
I once again saw four error-message windows from a single crash, but this time it was even more impressive.

One small window contained the following message:
"The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

The other three windows contained exactly the same message, but each of them contained the whole message three times, i.e. the message was displayed ten times in all.

Only the smallest of the boxes (the one containing only one message) responded to clicking the OK button and closed. The rest did not, and I had to reboot.

2)
On three occasions, the hang/crash occurred when I was moving the cursor within the main window of GD itself.

(See the attached docx, which shows the screen while I was writing the first version of this message ... the crash occurred a few seconds later.)

I had GD in the top right of the screen, with Windows Task Manager below it *and slightly overlapping*.

On one occasion, the cursor happened to be just above the top of the WTM window when GD crashed.

I rebooted and tried to reproduce the same problem. This time it happened when I was merely scrolling down, i.e. the cursor was in the scroll-bar just to the left of the History panel.

I rebooted again and this time GD crashed as I was adjusting the top of the WTM window, so that it was not overlapping.

That is the image in the attached document.

Should I go on testing Build 158, or try the later builds, which appeared after I started writing this message?

All the best,

Alec.
Alec

PreviousNext

Return to General