New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Developer Builds (for testing)

General discussion

Re: Developer Builds (for testing)

Postby Alec » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:22 pm

I have tested the Build in goldendict-1.5.0-RC-176-gc7b0452(EXE only).7z on Windows 7 (64- and 32-bit), on XP+SP3 (installed and virtual drive) and on {expletive deleted} Vista. It performed correctly on all three operating systems, and on a variety of hardware, new and old. It didn't crash or hang once. It even ran correctly on an ancient laptop running Windows 2000.

It appears that you have solved the problem. Well done, and many thanks.

Best wishes,

Alec.

P.S. Just to be thorough, I tried it on the ancient laptop with Windows NT. As expected, that didn't work (not much Unicode support), but the error seemed to be that a Microsoft DLL couldn't handle the code page, so we can file that under "Someone Else's Problem". :-)
Alec

Postby john_kaufi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:33 am

Little issue with the 'History' - Goldendict version 1.5.0-RC-156-g8a20ec7, Windows 8

The following steps:
1) Looking up some English words using Concise Oxford Dictionary, Longman Advanced Learner's Dictionay, Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary and some others which are all part of a group called 'English'

2) Taken out 'Urban Dictionary' from a group called 'German' that contains Langenscheidt, Babylon EN<>GER

3) Added the 'Urban Dictionary' to the group 'English'

By clicking through the history (saving the past 500 entries; saving every 3 minutes automatically) Goldendict brings up 'Urban Dictionary' as source of translation and doesn't bring up Langenscheidt or any other dictionary beside the Urban Dictionary. With some words in the history, this is the case with others it's not. Sometimes the dictionaries which were used in a group (e.g. group 'English) to translate the word come up sometimes only 'Urban Dictionary' comes up but no other dictionary of this group.
The same is still existent even after Urban Dictionary was moved to 'inactive (disabled) dictionaries'.

Golden Dict 1.0.1 is still installed on the computer too but was not activated etc.

Best,
jk
john_kaufi

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 am

john_kaufi wrote:Little issue with the 'History'

Hi John,

The history feature the way it is currently implemented is just a list of words, it doesn't remember which group was active when the word was added to the history. Selecting a word from history is as if you're just typed it in the search bar yourself, with the current active group.

We are considering improving the functionality and adding the corresponding group which was active when the word was added to the history.
Tvangeste

Postby john_kaufi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback Tvangeste!

john_kaufi wrote:The history feature the way it is currently implemented is just a list of words, it doesn't remember which group was active when the word was added to the history.

However, the dictionaries change when I click through the list, it is just hard to understand the logic of these changes :-).

No matter how GD is a great piece of software!!

jk
john_kaufi

Postby Glutanimate » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 am

Hi there,

first of all I'd like to thank you for this great piece of software. I use it daily and have come to a point where I can't do without it!

I just installed the latest goldendict development build from git and unfortunately I have to report that the memory usage appears to have increased quite a lot on my system: From ~80MB (version 1.0.1 +git) to ~150MB (1.5.0-RC-187-gf7db4dc-dirty).Earlier builds (e.g. 1.5.0-RC-102-g66c3095-dirty) produce the same results.

Is this to be expected because of new features or could I be facing a bug?

Some additional information on my system:

- Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
- Linux kernel 3.9.2

Thank you in advance!

best regards
-- Glutanimate

Edit: The difference is not as pronounced as I originally thought. Apparently RAM usage on initial launch is a bit higher than usual (I suspect due to index generation). I would say it's rather 80MB vs 110MB under general use. Still, I would love to know if this increase in memory usage is to be expected.

Edit 2: Another observation I've made is that memory usage increases when performing new lookups (especially when using wikipedia). This is to be expected of course, but what's troubling me is the fact that memory usage stays increased even after closing the corresponding tabs.
Glutanimate

Postby zongxiong » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 am

Small suggestion.

Why not use the official Android icon (the one on Google Play is 300x300) for the high-res PC icon (which only needs to be 256x256)? The design on that one is much better than what the PC version has right now.
zongxiong

Postby hanyl05 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:05 am

zongxiong wrote:Small suggestion.

Why not use the official Android icon (the one on Google Play is 300x300) for the high-res PC icon (which only needs to be 256x256)? The design on that one is much better than what the PC version has right now.

Completely agree with what Zongxiong has mentioned.
hanyl05

Postby hanyl05 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 am

Another small suggestion:
Android version supports touch screen gestures like scroll down and up, whereas PC version still cannot support these gestures on touch-screen windows 8.
hanyl05

Postby chulai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:22 pm

zongxiong wrote:Small suggestion.

Last I read the Android program was going to replace its icon with the desktop's icon. See https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... 85198ab5cb
chulai

Postby Abs62 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Abs62

PreviousNext

Return to General