New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Developer Builds (for testing)

General discussion

Re: Developer Builds (for testing)

Postby chulai » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:47 pm

My position is that keeping main window and scan popup UI consistent wins over all the drawbacks you mentioned. User can always falls back to use keyboard navigation.
chulai

Postby Abs62 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

chulai wrote:My position is that keeping main window and scan popup UI consistent wins over all the drawbacks you mentioned. User can always falls back to use keyboard navigation.

These buttons was introduced specially for users who want to go off from the keyboard navigation. To propose them to fall back is not a very good idea, I think.
Abs62

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 am

There seems to be two forces in play here, with conflicting requirements, that's why I said that I don't have a strong opinion.

And in such cases when there are conflicting but equally valid reasons, we might introduce some user-adjustable settings. :)

Personally, I think we need two more checkboxes in the Scan Popup tab in the preferences (with their default values marked):
Code: Select all
[x] Show Back/Forward buttons
[ ] Back/Forward buttons at the beginning of the toolbar
Tvangeste

Postby vjjustin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 am

Tvangeste wrote:......Yep, plus those buttons are to be very rarely used so making them the first buttons in the toolbar would bring user attention to them but they don't deserve such attention.....

First, the UI consistency between main window and popup.
Secondly and more importantly, the standard UI practices that are followed across various applications and OSes. See the web browsers, file browsers (explorer in windows, Files in Gnome) etc. etc.
vjjustin

Postby Abs62 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 am

vjjustin wrote:the standard UI practices

Scan popup is non-standard window. It closes when cursor moved out and generally can't be open with same content immediately.
Abs62

Postby mmmmmm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 pm

I just would like to motion that scan popup does not translate Arabic when pointing mouse over the word (It run and translate with ctrl +C+C )

the reason is that the word is reversed (simply for example goldendict becomes tcidnedlog , of course Arabic words)

as in picture
تماسك becomes كسامت

mmmmmm

Postby chulai » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Abs62 wrote:
chulai wrote:My position is that keeping main window and scan popup UI consistent wins over all the drawbacks you mentioned. User can always falls back to use keyboard navigation.

These buttons was introduced specially for users who want to go off from the keyboard navigation. To propose them to fall back is not a very good idea, I think.

Yes, I was thinking on the specific users that might not feel comfortable clicking small icons wherever we decide to locate them or are keyboard-driven.
chulai

Postby chulai » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Abs62 wrote:
vjjustin wrote:the standard UI practices

Scan popup is non-standard window. It closes when cursor moved out and generally can't be open with same content immediately.

Does not behave like a standard window, granted. But the translate line, back/forward buttons and hyper-links all resemble a browser and as such users have expectations where to find navigation buttons. I have yet to see an application (in Windows) that have the back/forward buttons on the right.

I like the idea of having an option "Show Back/Forward buttons". Not sure about the other option: "Back/Forward buttons at the beginning of the toolbar".
chulai

Postby chulai » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Now that we are discussing differences between main window and scan popup I found some others:

• Buttons look & feel are different. Probably because scan popup does not have a toolbar where its buttons can be located. Also, as there is no toolbar the buttons are fixed and can't be docked to the bottom of the window.
  • Scan popup window title shows "Dialog" while the main window shows "searchTerm - GoldenDict".
Attachments
main window vs scan popup (differences).PNG
main window vs scan popup (differences).PNG (216.03 KiB) Viewed 46064 times
chulai

Postby Abs62 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 pm

mmmmmm wrote:I just would like to motion that scan popup does not translate Arabic when pointing mouse over the word (It run and translate with ctrl +C+C )

chulai wrote:Scan popup window title shows "Dialog" while the main window shows "searchTerm - GoldenDict".

Now fixed in git.
Abs62

PreviousNext

Return to General